News Feed Discussions HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A: Breast Implant Illness & What Mesh Patients Can Learn

• HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A: Breast Implant Illness & What Mesh Patients Can Learn

Posted by drtowfigh on October 2, 2021 at 10:08 am

HerniaTalk LIVE is a weekly Q&A hosted by Dr Shirin Towfigh, hernia surgeon expert, with invited special Guests to answer your hernia-related questions.

This week, our Guest Panelist is Dr Kevin Brenner, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Beverly Hills, California.

Topic: Breast Implant Illness & What Mesh Patients Can Learn From It

Join us this Tuesday 10/05/21 at 4:30pm Pacific time (GMT -7) as a Facebook Live. You can also register to join via Zoom here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_4CqHjRjLSMGXv9Q1T9h9wg

drtowfigh replied 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 13, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Thank you!!

Suture repairs may Involve polypropylene or polyester or nylon but there are other alternatives used too. It is surgeon dependent

• William Bryant

October 20, 2021 at 4:15 am

Thanks Dr Towfigh… Do non mesh repairs use the items you mentioned? Or does that depend on the surgeon and what he/she uses.

By the way, it’s brilliant giving us this forum and answering when you are, clearly, very busy! Thank you. I really appreciate the answer.

• drtowfigh

October 19, 2021 at 4:17 pm

@bryanBryant I wish I knew the answer to this. We can just surmise that you have a nickel allergy, at the least. So, if you have any surgery, sometimes we use clips and tackers and coils that contain nickel. Nest to prevent their use.

As for mesh allergy: it does not seem to be among those with nickel allergies. But there is no hard science behind what I am saying: just personal experience.

If you are worried, AND your hernia is amenable to non-mesh repair, then you should consider that option. If non-mesh is not feasible, or not practical, then I tend to choose hybrid meshes for my patients. Again, no hard data, but in my experience it has had the best tolerance and least reactions among patients with sensitivities.

• William Bryant

October 18, 2021 at 2:50 am

Thanks Dr Towfigh and Johnso for highlighting possible adverse reactions..

Dr Towfigh…
    I get red nose and bumps on nose in sun and to a lesser extent even in winter which I think is due to blood pressure pills I take. I don’t know if it is acne aereta but it is some form of acne I believe. Masks aggravate it too.

Additionally metal belt buckles, backs of some watches and metal zips on funnel neck coats thst zip right up, irritate my skin if the metal contacts it. Rash, spots, itchy.

Would you think I am allergic to nickel and if so would you think a non mesh repair would be better to avoid adverse reactions?

I’d really appreciate your view as it is causing me stress worrying which way to go.

Many thanks

• Johnso

October 17, 2021 at 9:35 pm

Dr. Towfigh:

Thank you for letting me know. I realize more research needs to be done.

My preference is a non mesh based repair but I may not be a suitable candidate. For more than 30 years I have been dealing with chronic IBS and my hernia may be too large. Eventually I will follow your advice and get a second opinion so I can avoid any plugs or bilayer meshes.

As a person with an intestinal disorder I found last year’s Hernia Talk Live Session with Dr. Treyzon very interesting and informative.

johnso

• drtowfigh

October 15, 2021 at 4:03 am

Yes. You are at higher risk than average patient to have an implant illness. In my practice, I would likely recommend non mesh based repair for you as much as possible. That said, we don’t know what that “higher” risk potential is. It’s not 100%. It may be 5 or 10%. We just don’t know yet.

• Johnso

October 14, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Dr. Towfigh:

Hopefully the work/research that you and others are doing on “implant illness” will result in a reliable screening process that can identify individuals who are at risk of developing this illness. I have a few autoimmune disorders, psoriasis and alopecia areata and few other conditions that makes me wonder if I am at a higher risk of developing an “implant illness” including what you have appropriately coined “Mesh Implant Illness (MII)”.

johnso

• drtowfigh

October 5, 2021 at 8:08 pm

Fun and insightful session on Breast Implant Illness tonight. So many correlations with what I will now call Mesh Implant Illness.

WATCH and SHARE from here: https://youtu.be/HPTXqy5M5D0