News Feed Discussions HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A: Busting Common Myths Part 2 09/14/2021

• HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A: Busting Common Myths Part 2 09/14/2021

Posted by drtowfigh on September 12, 2021 at 11:06 pm

HerniaTalk LIVE is a weekly Q&A hosted by Dr Shirin Towfigh, hernia surgeon expert, with invited special Guests to answer your hernia-related questions.

Topic: Busting Common Myths & Misinformation About Hernias and Hernia Surgery Part 2

Join us this Tuesday 09/14/21 at 4:30pm Pacific time (GMT -7) as a Facebook Live. You can also register to join via Zoom here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_s9PmeHZ1Q2O8u1-TnCz2FQ

drtowfigh replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Johnso

October 14, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Dr. Towfigh:

For me the question you received about neurodegenerative disorders hits close to home. I know two people whose lives were changed after hip replacement surgery. At the time both were in their 80’s and prior to surgery they had mild memory issues. I don’t like using the term dementia. After surgery they both had severe memory issues. When released from hospital one was sent to a long term care facility and the other with support from family and some homecare was able to return home. Both lost their independence.

I realize I am not medically qualified and my observations are anecdotal but I believe anyone who has pre-existing cognitive impairment especially if they are elderly is at increased risk of their condition worsening when undergoing major surgery. Whatever the cause anesthetic, changes in blood flow during surgery, post surgical inflammation or something else more research needs to be done to find methods to reduce the risk.

On a side note the person who was able to return home had a hernia repaired at the Shouldice Clinic several years earlier when in their 70’s. There weren’t any complications and the repair never failed.

johnso

• Good intentions

September 22, 2021 at 1:10 pm

Here is a good starting point. How did things go so wrong? Weird how the selling points in 1997 are about exactly the same as today.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/1997/12/01/focus6.html

Bright future possible for area surgeon’s hernia patch

Chehalis surgeon Robert Kugel has developed a new technique for hernia surgery that he claims produces an ideal combination of reduced pain, a short recovery period and a low recurrence rate.

• Good intentions

September 22, 2021 at 12:53 pm

A presentation on a known bad aspect of the hernia repair field would be interesting and impactful. Many of the “myths” result from bad products or methods, and the efforts to fix the damage caused by those bad products/methods. Why not help spread the word about the bad products, achieving the same sort of goal as dispelling “myths”?

Plugs would be a good starting point. You could describe how the concept was developed, then commercialized and heavily promoted, but ultimately has become a major part of the chronic pain problem. Yet, all of the major device makers still sell them.

Another might be the C-QUR oil coated mesh product. Concept, commercialization, promotion, chronic pain, lawsuits.

These types of videos would probably not be as well-received at the shows by industry and colleagues but they could be honest open enlightening reports about bad products. More impactful. Start shining a light on the actual products and methods that are giving your profession a bad reputation. Remove the poison and everyone will be healthier.

You might get a colleague to join you.

https://twitter.com/novitskyyuri/status/1021596087600271360

• drtowfigh

September 21, 2021 at 6:57 pm

It was an amazing Myth Busting episode. We reviewed myths and misinformation about hernias and hernia surgery.

Catch up with and watch it all here: https://youtu.be/qG7rmrcjOH8

• drtowfigh

October 15, 2021 at 4:06 am

Thanks @cautious.

Yes. Anesthesia can have a deleterious effect on patients with dementia or vascular disorders of the brain. It would not necessarily be an implant issue.