News Feed Discussions HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A with Shouldice Surgeon Dr SpencerNetto 06/09/2020

• HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A with Shouldice Surgeon Dr SpencerNetto 06/09/2020

Posted by drtowfigh on June 4, 2020 at 11:56 pm

For our next HerniaTalk **LIVE** Q&A session, I will be joined by Guest Panelist, Dr Fernando Spencer Netto. Dr. Spencer Netto is a hernia surgeon at the Shouldice Hospital in Ontario Canada.

You are invited to participate in this Zoom webinar.

When: Jun 9, 2020 4:30 PM Pacific, 7:3 PM Eastern, GMT -7.

Register in advance for this webinar:
    https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_U3Dik2M5Rs24C1Uzr9ejKQ
    After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Feel free to submit some questions here in advance. We will be focusing our Q&A to inguinal hernias, the Shouldice philosophy and experience, and Some ventral hernia repairs.

John replied 7 months, 1 week ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • drtowfigh

October 11, 2020 at 11:09 am

That is correct. I do not transect the cremaster muscle or transect any nerves as part of the modified Shouldice technique.

• Wim

October 11, 2020 at 10:21 am

Still no answer on the last question.

• Thunder Rose

September 6, 2020 at 11:40 pm

Dr. Towfigh: you wrote that in the Shouldice repair “Classically, the cremasteric muscle and genital nerve branch are resected” and Dr. Spencer Netto confirms in this interview that is the standard of practice at Shouldice Hospital. But in this interview you indicate your Shouldice repair differs from the classical repair in that you do not resect the cremasteric muscle. Do you also not resect the genital nerve branch of the genitofemoral nerve? It would be helpful to understand whether to seek a surgeon who preserves all nerves or if the genital nerve branch of the genitofemoral nerve is an exception to the preference against neurectomy.

• Mark

July 3, 2020 at 10:40 am

Warning! Dr Netto stated the shouldice hospital gives the patient the choice to keep the cremaster uncut…THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE! He was not truthful on that.

• drtowfigh

June 13, 2020 at 10:30 am

@mark I hope we were able to answer your questions live.

• drtowfigh

June 11, 2020 at 6:27 pm

The suture has its risks too. Can break, interfere with imaging. There are synthetic sutures that have less inflammation too. In most first world countries, the steel sutures have been abandoned.

• Momof4

June 10, 2020 at 6:09 am

@drtowfigh, Thanks for the interesting session. Shouldice Hospital wouldn’t touch me with a 10 ft pole!! So, how do we get some of those stainless steel sutures?? No inflammatory response sounds great!! Thank you for keeping hernia patients educated.

• drtowfigh

June 9, 2020 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for all who participated, making this the most interactive session we have had to date. If you missed it, you can watch the Q&A session on my YouTube channel here:
    https://youtu.be/x-5vJbGU2Co

• Mark

June 7, 2020 at 7:04 pm

My question is for both Dr. Towfigh and Dr. Netto.

I’m a 43 year-old male in excellent health, very active with exercise and outdoor activities. I’m 190lbs at 6 feet tall about 15% bodyfat. Non smoker, no medical issues, no prior hernia surgeries. I have a bilateral inguinal hernia and have read myself into confusion and am overwhelmed in trying to find the best surgeon and hernia repair that gives me the best chance of long term succes. I’m convinced to go with a pure tissue repair. So Dr. Netto, do you feel the shouldice repair is the optimal choice and why? To Dr. Towfigh, what type of pure tissue repair, if any, do you feel is most optimal and why? If you both say shouldice, Dr. Towfigh do you feel you perform this as effective as the should’ve hospital that markets themselves as being the very best out there due to the volume in which they perform? (Yes I’m putting you both on the spot!)

• Orel

June 6, 2020 at 10:50 am
  • John

August 18, 2023 at 2:39 pm

Do you have a reference for that?