News Feed Discussions How long should or could you leave a hernia

• How long should or could you leave a hernia

Posted by William Bryant on January 14, 2023 at 11:54 pm

If the hernia is not too troublesome, mostly asymptotic, how long can you defer surgery?

The surrounding tissue degenerates but how quickly or slowly?

The hernia gets bigger but is that usually gradually?

If you have no (great) pain and/or can do most things is it best to watch and wait rather than risk surgery that is not without risk?

William Bryant replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • William Bryant

January 21, 2023 at 2:06 am

Ah Ive looked back and the German surgeon who hung up on Scarletville was Kurzer, Watchful.

I know Good Intentions I’m looking for a perfect success rate! Which is nigh on impossible. Such a major decision.

• Good intentions

January 20, 2023 at 12:53 pm

Here’s a thought for those considering bad stories about surgeon interactions. Imagine that a certain, very active and opinionated, person from the forum was interacting with a surgeon in the way that they have commented about people on this very forum. Very complementary when they need something, very negative when they don’t get what they wanted. It’s easy to imagine that the surgeon would be very irritated and short with them and try to guide them away. No surgeon wants a single patient out there on the internet trying to blame them for a bad result, trying to ruin their career, even though they have decades of history of helping other people.

Just like when evaluating surgical methods and materials you really have to consider the overall numbers and the specific cases and your own specific situation, all together. Like Amazon reviews, if you look at enough of them you will always find a reason not to purchase. It’s best to look at recent results and the collection of results as a whole.

The best way, in my opinion, to make a choice about surgery, is to try to calculate the odds of success for your own situation. Collect the information, assess its quality, apply it to your situation, make a decision.

• William Bryant

January 20, 2023 at 11:59 am

I have considered Germany and not totally ruled it out but Baris experience put me off a bit and didn’t one of the Germans treat Scarletville badly?

Which one of the three would you favour Watchful?

• Watchful

January 20, 2023 at 9:59 am

William,

Since you’re in the UK, why not go to Germany? Conze, Lorenz, Wiese.

If you are really so limited in lifting, then I would consider doing it, but if it’s not so bad and things are stable, I would personally wait.

• William Bryant

January 20, 2023 at 1:24 am

Exactly the same as me Wim. I’m scared I’d be exchanging virtually no symptoms and just mild discomfort for a whole lot more. But at the same time realise it has to be done at some stage and frustrated that I can lift things I used to.

Such is the hernia dilemma.

Who would you go with?

I’m thinking Dr Kang seems the most highly regarded!

• William Bryant

January 16, 2023 at 11:22 pm

Hello Wim, do you plan on getting yours repaired or does it not have symltoms.

I’ll be 2 years in late August.

I have changed in as much as I dint carry much but I find that frustrating.

• Wim

January 16, 2023 at 12:50 pm

Already 2 years with a hernia in my case. You have to change your lifestyle avoiding pushing the hernia further.

• William Bryant

January 16, 2023 at 2:31 am

It’s about egg size bit only half of it sticking out if you follow.
    A consultant called it moderate size.
    Another said it isn’t size it’s whether it’s symptomatic.

• Watchful

January 15, 2023 at 4:38 pm

The bulge size varies because the content sometimes comes out more, and sometimes it gets reduced back in. The question is whether you’re noticing a worsening overall. If not, and if it isn’t really bothersome, then my personal preference would be to wait, but you should listen to your consultants, and it sounds like they don’t think you need to rush to do surgery. How big is the bulge when it protrudes the most? People typically compare to the size of a fruit of a similar size. What fruit would it be?

• William Bryant

January 15, 2023 at 1:39 pm

The bulge size seems to vary. When I first get up it’s pretty small and gets a bit bigger during day. However when I carried a large liquid container it was bigger in general for about two weeks then settled back.

It isn’t really bothersome and that is the point I’m getting at, is it worth risking a virtually asymptotic hernia for surgery at the moment?

• Watchful

January 15, 2023 at 9:57 am

If the bulge is larger than it used to be then obviously the hernia has become bigger. The size of the hernia sac and defect can be measured by ultrasound, although having it done accurately may be challenging.

If the hernia becomes too bothersome, it’s reasonable to do surgery even if it hasn’t been growing in size.

• William Bryant

January 15, 2023 at 9:07 am

Good points Alephy and Watchful. Ref sizing, how can you tell how big is it? Is it size of bulge?

When just getting up from sedantary.
    Or at end of day?

I thought mine had got bigger for example but a consultant, by feel, said urz hardly changed.

Another said it isn’t really size it’s if it’s symptomatic and troublesome.

• Watchful

January 15, 2023 at 6:07 am

This really varies. It can stay the same size for very long, grow very slowly, or grow fast. It can grow at different rates at different times.

One thing to keep in mind is that larger hernias are harder to fix, particularly with tissue repair.

• Alephy

January 15, 2023 at 4:04 am

I am not sure there is an answer that applies to everyone…
    I personally also think that it depends on your lifestyle ie being fit with a strong abdominal core will go a long way in keeping you off surgery.

• Watchful

January 20, 2023 at 12:59 pm

I believe all 3 I mentioned are very good. My first pick among them would be Dr. Conze.

• Wim

January 18, 2023 at 12:58 pm

There is a bulging “eggsize” that is all. But better it should be fixed in the end. A bit afraid of all what can go wrong with this surgery.