News Feed Discussions In the 70s and 80s hernias were no big deal –now they are hell

• In the 70s and 80s hernias were no big deal –now they are hell

pinto replied 1 year ago 8 Members · 26 Replies
  • pinto

April 27, 2023 at 2:15 am

Hold own, @Chuck: Didn’t you post somewhere that generally IH repairs last 5 years? Your friends’ 50-year stretch probably qualifies for Guinness.

• Watchful

April 26, 2023 at 6:36 pm

If your friends had hernia surgery in the 70s or 80s, they were likely kids at the time. I believe inguinal hernias in kids are almost always indirect, and a simple Marcy typically works well on them. My parents should have treated my hernia at that age.

• Unknown Member

April 26, 2023 at 4:44 pm

Mark T- I know shouldice has been around that long…but none of these guys had that repair…and none of them had chronic pain. They were simple sew jobs and they have lasted 50 years. My one friend lifts heavy weights too. My point is all of these high end repairs have a lot of issues. Shouldice has tons of chronic pain…some studies suggest 27 percent…its a very invasive procedure. Then you have desarda which cuts off other body parts…and has some pretty miserable failures as illustrated on this forum—i am just trying to be prepared in case i Recur…no watchful waiting this time…immediate repair with the best in the world…no matter the cost. No penny pinching or staying local…NO more mistakes

• William Bryant

April 26, 2023 at 9:21 am

That’s true Mark T, since WW1 I believe but would it have been so prevalent worldwide? For example an acquaintance who found out I had a hernia told me he had his repaired by the NHS and it was before mesh. Would the NHS have used Shouldice or bassini? This man, like chuck says, had no issues with his stitched repair other than walking out on discharge. Would you know what the preferred non mesh surgery was Mark? Or was that dependant on surgeon?

The reason/s for mesh are claimed to be it’s easier, quicker and less likely to recur I believe, Chuck.

In fact someone, Pinto I think, linked a comedy sketch about that… Hopefully someone can link to it again, sums it up really. Maybe Pinto will again.

• MarkT

April 26, 2023 at 9:08 am

Shouldice has been around for 70 years…try again.

• ajm222

April 28, 2023 at 9:11 am

definitely also concur with all you said here and above

Page 2 of 2