News Feed Discussions Inguinal hernia post operation

• Inguinal hernia post operation

Posted by W.Parker on April 19, 2018 at 12:03 am

I’m 10 weeks post open rt inguinal hernia repair with mesh surgery. One week ago, while working and healing well about a week behind schedule of 50 percent. I felt a pull in the muscle below the inguinal canal. For a week now I’ve been treating it like pulled muscle with little to no lifting. Area feels like it did at 2- 3weeks post surgery with some improvement over the last week.
    My question did I just pull the muscles and mesh apart and they’ll heal up just fine. Curious to know if anyone else has had that muscle pull sensation and set back?
    Also during my surgery the surgeon repositioned and placed the spermatic cord to it’s original position from a prior 2015 hydrocele ectomy. Surgeon also said there was a lot of scar tissue and extra mesh was used to repair the inguinal hernia and exedra. The area of pulled muscle feeling is from the inguinal canal (hernia repair )and tissue leading towards the testicle. Question, is it possible to pull the muscles in that region without hurting the hernia repair itself 9- 10 weeks post surgery?

Good intentions replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Good intentions

April 24, 2018 at 6:01 pm
    quote W.Parker:

I’m not sure of the material used to make the mesh. I was told it’s comparable or looks like fishing line tightly woven and they’ve(the VA) used the same mesh for 50 years. Really odd feeling the body trying to adhere to the mesh. It was a itching scratching feeling. I had a open RT inguinal hernia surgery where they layed and stitched the mesh together on the outside of the inguinal canal. The Doctor did confirm extra work was done repositioning the spermatic cord and extensive scared tissue which seemed really weird- extensive scared tissue?

It sounds like your surgeons are using something close to the original mesh repair methods, which generally worked well, but cause more short-term healing pain, requiring more time, and also left more external scarring.

One reason that laparoscopy is gaining popularity is because people get back on their feet sooner, and the signs of surgery are reduced. Tiny scars. Which, somewhat ironically, probably makes it easier, subconsciously, to think that there can’t be any problems inside, because there are no scars outside. Surgeons are people too. The people with problems from laparoscopic mesh implantation look fine from the outside. Especially the TEP procedure, which leaves almost no sign of surgery, but does the most internal dissection.

A good medical student could probably put a survey together that would show the difference in chronic pain between old methods and new. I’ve seen a few attempts, in research papers available n the internet, but they generally downplay the type of pain, ignoring the persistent low-level pain, focusing on more extreme pain, and they usually have some bias apparent in the discussion. Research to prove a point instead of research to solve a problem.

Your previous scar tissue might have been from the areas that were dissected so that the surgeons could get in to fix the hydrocele. I’ve wondered if the dissection process alone isn’t part of the mesh implantation problems. Peeling apart tissues that were perfectly fine just to “take a look” or make room for the mesh.

Good luck.

• W.Parker

April 23, 2018 at 7:10 pm

I believe my pain was caused only by a botched hydrocelectomy. Hernia was discomforting and found approximately 3 years later. Doctor’s didn’t want to really confirm my diagnosis. Urology has basically avoided further treatment and advised me against the hernia repair saying it could potentially cause further problems quoted saying look what happened after the hydrocelectomy. Explaining my concerns to the General Surgeon who performed the Hernia repair, He confirmed the spermatic cord was repositioned and since the surgery that pain is completely gone!

• Chaunce1234

April 23, 2018 at 6:15 pm
    quote W.Parker:

I believe or should differently be considered that a hernia repair should be conducted during a hydrocelectomy procedure even though the incisional site is located in two different locations. The surgery technician said both should be down at the same time,so I guess they have seen or done these procedures before. It would of alleviated over 2 years of uncomfortable mind blowing recovery and missed diagnosis of nerve pain, nerve blocks and medications including Gabapentin,Duloxetine and Ibuprofen My hernia was unnoticed in the standing position which puzzled the doctor but when I pointed out the bulge in the lying down position the RT Inguinal Hernia was confirmed.

Do you and your surgeons think your pain was caused by the hydrocole, or the hernia?

• W.Parker

April 21, 2018 at 11:42 pm

I believe or should differently be considered that a hernia repair should be conducted during a hydrocelectomy procedure even though the incisional site is located in two different locations. The surgery technician said both should be down at the same time,so I guess they have seen or done these procedures before. It would of alleviated over 2 years of uncomfortable mind blowing recovery and missed diagnosis of nerve pain, nerve blocks and medications including Gabapentin,Duloxetine and Ibuprofen My hernia was unnoticed in the standing position which puzzled the doctor but when I pointed out the bulge in the lying down position the RT Inguinal Hernia was confirmed.

• W.Parker

April 20, 2018 at 10:26 pm

I’m not sure of the material used to make the mesh. I was told it’s comparable or looks like fishing line tightly woven and they’ve(the VA) used the same mesh for 50 years. Really odd feeling the body trying to adhere to the mesh. It was a itching scratching feeling. I had a open RT inguinal hernia surgery where they layed and stitched the mesh together on the outside of the inguinal canal. The Doctor did confirm extra work was done repositioning the spermatic cord and extensive scared tissue which seemed really weird- extensive scared tissue?
    Thanks for your comments incisional site pain for a couple months.

The hydrocele cause was never diagnosed as to why but started around age 23 (like a beebee)and continued over the years growing to the size of a avocado. I was 45 when VA tried removing it, post surgery it was reduced in size but extremely painful and still present. Since the hernia repair procedure (feb.2018)the testicular pain and fluid has subsided returning to almost normal. I do believe they stripped some of the nerves. By the way things feel as they said they might pre- Op.

• Good intentions

April 20, 2018 at 2:12 am
    quote W.Parker:

Also, I was concerned about the type of mesh that was used…being a veteran they told me there mesh product hasn’t changed in 50years and only concern is with the dissolving mesh type.

Edited – Mesh was introduced about 50 years ago. But, still worrisome, that they think they’re all the same. Makes looking for a solution seem hopeless. Narrow-minded.

Do you know what type of mesh was used, and what procedure? Was it an open mesh implantation? How did you get the hydrocele for the first surgery?

Change will continue over the first few years, with the mesh shrinking, and the tissues around it getting pulled. Good luck, sorry nobody had some advice on your first post. I felt most of the soreness right at the spot of my direct hernia, in the first few months.

• W.Parker

April 20, 2018 at 12:12 am

Also, I was concerned about the type of mesh that was used…being a veteran they told me there mesh product hasn’t changed in 50years and only concern is with the dissolving mesh type. I had to ask the doctor because of the healing process it kinda felt like they put chicken wire in there, mild itching under the skin but it goes away.

• W.Parker

April 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm

Well, I just wanted to post a few more things regarding my rturbed inguinal hernia and extra repair post Op. Today marks my 10th week. My set back and muscle pull is considerably better but seems like it could go either way. At this point resting and walking or better yet listening to my body as agonizing as it is, is my course of action. For those preparing for Surgery have faith in your surgical team because hernia operations are very common and conducted frequently. Noting that everyone heals differently. Some sites say that you can run at 3weeks and bicycle at 4 weeks with aches and pains, twangs, and swelling for months after surgery. I was told 6-8 weeks to be at 50 percent and 3- 6 months for 100 percent recovered also that the stitching to repair and sow in the repair dissolves about 8 weeks. Which in my case and activity level is I believe to be a process of healing. Not to bore you but some things to consider is don’t try and jump off the couch 3 days post Op because major incisional pain and meds make you feel better. Also, when trying to sit up while laying in bed for the first few weeks role to your side because sit- ups aren’t happening. Good luck with your recovery and the boredom of healing give yourself a 2- 3 days before starting your walking regiment as per your doctor’s orders. Have confidence and take it easy. Posting a picture because these underwear if required are 100 percent better than a standard jock strap.