News Feed Discussions Inguinal Mesh Removal – Left side done

• Inguinal Mesh Removal – Left side done

Posted by sensei_305 on January 7, 2023 at 5:13 pm

Finally had mesh removed by Dr.Peter Billings in Seattle,WA. Surgery was done on my left inguinal side on December 27th. I am feeling really good about the recovery. The original plan was to remove both sides (left,Right) mesh on same day but my left side was so complex due to mesh migration that we could only do one side. I am coming back in March to remove mesh on the right side and that should be the end of it. I was told no sutures were needed because I have good scar tissue in place.

I am only dealing with two discomforts:
    1. My Penis hurts, not testicles but the actual shaft.
    2. Also have pain in my umbilical area, kinda pulling sensation. I will disclose that I had umbilical hernia fixed back in May when the inguinal mesh was placed. I am not sure if perhaps the ports placement for the lap/robotic assisted mesh removal maybe irritated my umbilical repair. I asked Dr.Billing if my Umbilical sutures could have failed but he advised its fine, just healing. Not sure if anyone has had a similar situation but my pulling sensation on umbilical started now post inguinal mesh removal. Note that I have 4 incisions on my belly. Two on each side but none on Belly button currently.

Side note, I highly recommend anyone who needs mesh removal or any weightloss procedure done to contact Peter Billings in Kirkland,WA. This man has a great personality and cares about his patients. I flew 5 hours fo see him and will be doing it again in March.

Watchful replied 9 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Watchful

June 15, 2023 at 9:32 pm

@sensei305

What type of mesh surgeries did you have originally?

Are recurrence and scar tissue the only possible causes? Could it be nerve damage, or is that not consistent with the symptoms?

I’m curious about how scar tissue can be removed surgically without creating more scar tissue…

You’ve been going through a nightmare. I hope this 4th surgery improves your condition, and doesn’t cause other problems. Best of luck!

• sensei_305

June 15, 2023 at 7:39 pm

@good-intentions Ok so here it goes.. This afternoon I had my zoom call with dr.billings and it was great. He reviewed the recent operative report and said he can perform revision surgery no problem. This time we are taking a different approach, he advised that IF I have a recurrence when he takes a look, he will perform a repair via open incision and sow me up. He advised that he has kinda changed his view on how Lap Surgery’s are currently being performed and the efficacy of the repair/ rate of recurrence when not using mesh. So we went over a few scenarios. IF I don’t have a recurrence but turns out scar tissue is what is causing the problem, he will fix it. He will be doing a bilateral revision procedure including my umbilical discomforts I have been complaining about since 2022. Note that this will be my 4th surgery and I pray to god is my last. I can’t explain it but there is such a comfort that I get when speaking with Dr.Billings, this has never happened with anyone else. He truly cares bro, is the best way I an put it. I advised him on how other surgeons quickly push us onto Pain management once they are done with us and he agreed that its all bull crap. Nerve shots is not going to resolve a long term problem, its a placebo effect as we put it. I could not agree more. So I will be scheduling to fly back to Seattle some time in mid July.

• Good intentions

June 13, 2023 at 10:01 am

Sensei, just posting here to add to your recent post on Chuck’s other thread. Post #35483, for anyone wondering. Another option for mesh removal in Florida.

https://herniatalk.com/forums/topic/dr-twofigh-chronic-pain/#post-35483

Dr. Twofigh – Chronic Pain

• sensei_305

January 7, 2023 at 5:14 pm

Forgot to add, thanks to @good-intentions for recommending Dr.Billings to me 🙂

• Watchful

June 15, 2023 at 10:03 pm

I don’t think pressure is a common symptom of nerve damage, but I don’t know for sure. All sensations are carried by nerves, so I guess anything is possible.

I believe typical symptoms of nerve damage are pain, pricking, burning, itching, numbness, and sensitivity to contact in the area. Of course, some of these can be caused by damage to non-nerve tissue as well.

• sensei_305

June 15, 2023 at 9:48 pm

Nerve damage? I don’t know what nerve damage would feel like. I don’t have a pinching pain or stabbing. I feel dull pain and pressure not pulling inward if that makes any sense. The idea is, If I have recurrence, it will be fixed via open incision. If no recurrence but scar tissue is hitting a nerve, well that will be addressed too. But again, this does not feel like nerve pain. Perhaps someone can describe what nerve damage on inguinal canal feels like.

• sensei_305

June 13, 2023 at 5:57 pm

@chucktaylor Sent you DM brother.

• sensei_305

June 13, 2023 at 3:12 pm

thanks bro, Im actually talking to Dr.Billings as I mentioned for possible revision surgery. My left side started acting up and CT scan apparently did not find any recurrence. However as I sit here talking to you, I feel pressure on left inguinal side and pain on and off. Mostly felt in the morning when I wake. Going to check if Peter can do revision and Neurectomy if needed.

• sensei_305

January 17, 2023 at 8:43 pm

Hey buddy, sure I shoot you an email tomorrow 🙂

• sensei_305

January 9, 2023 at 4:21 pm

Hi brother, to answer your question. I was never able to hear back from Belyanski when I reached out months ago and quite frankly got tired of waiting. Dr.Billings is a great person who really took my situation seriously instead of disregarding me and giving me the run around asking for 10 different tests. The reason why he was not able to remove both meshes on same day is because my mesh on the left side was very complicated. It had migrated and was tangled all over the place. I appreciate that he took his time to make sure one side was good instead of rushing to do both and get me out of the way to be honest. I also read @good-intentions posts regarding his experience about 20 times before making my decision and I do not regret it. When I talked to Dr.Billings via Zoom I knew at the end of the call that he was the guy.

My mesh removal was done robotically not via open incision or regular Lap.