News Feed Discussions Mesh Removal Recovery Timeline

• Mesh Removal Recovery Timeline

Posted by helpmehere on November 7, 2022 at 10:00 am

Hi everyone. Hope you’re all well. Just wanted to say thank you to every person here who has taken the time to contribute discussion and information about hernia complications. As we all know there’s very little info out there and help is difficult to find when things go awry. I’ve already dug through the forum and found quite a bit of info and read a lot of stories.

I’m currently going through the thick of it, recurrence with chronic pain, and I would like to here some more experiences specifically about mesh removal and how the recovery from such a procedure went.

I want to ask, anyone who has had mesh removed, how long was the recovery and what were some notable things about the healing process?

I understand that this is a very loaded question. Everyone’s answers will be quite different dependent on surgeon, method of repair, nature of failures, etc. That’s okay. I’m just very interested in other people’s personal experiences so I can get a broad understanding of what to expect for long term recovery.

Good intentions replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Good intentions

November 7, 2022 at 11:16 am

I think that recovery probably depends on the type of hernia, the type of mesh used, the type of repair, the length of time since the mesh implantation, and the activities that the patient engages in.

One of the huge problems in understanding the current situation is that even the professionals, who have been dealing with the problem for decades, tend to oversimplify things down to “mesh” (used to describe all types of mesh). “open” (used to describe Lichtenstein, Kugel, PHS, etc.), and “laparoscopic” (used to describe TEP, TAPP, and all variations of those two broad acronyms). And today they have a new word, “robotic”. Which is really just another form of TAPP laparoscopic.

Anyway, here is a Topic I started a short while ago. I am at almost 5 years since removal.

https://herniatalk.com/forums/topic/healing-from-mesh-removal-surgery/

Healing from mesh removal surgery