News Feed Discussions Need inguinal hernia surgery

• Need inguinal hernia surgery

Posted by Johnson M on September 13, 2023 at 4:53 pm

I was diagnosed a month ago (12 Aug) and slated to see a surgeon on 1 November. After that when the surgery will be, god alone knows. Meanwhile the quality of my life has gone down significantly, no exercise, no gym, no major physical activity.
    Anyone has any suggestions as to how to get a surgery appointment faster in this country we call Canada?
    15 years ago I required a bilateral varicocele for which I got appointment 8 months out. Frustrated with the excruciating wait times, I flew to India, got the surgery done the day I landed and was back in Canada a week later. I do not want to go to India for the hernia, as would not be practical to get a follow up.

• This discussion was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by  Johnson M.
    MarkT replied 7 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • MarkT

September 16, 2023 at 1:47 pm

I would keep the Nov. 1 consult for now and go to Shouldice ASAP first thing one morning to ensure an available slot that day for a free walk-in consult.

Assuming your scenario fits within their narrower patient profile, at worst you will leave with another option to consider, including a clear timeline, and you could have that information virtually immediately. Then you can decide if it is a suitable option for you or if you want to wait and consult elsewhere.

• Johnson M

September 16, 2023 at 8:08 am

Nov 1 is only a consulting appointment with Dr. Pampaloni. Surgery could probably be much later. Shouldice hospital is not far – 50 kms from me. My bilateral varicocele was an open surgery under general anesthesia.

• Good intentions

September 15, 2023 at 10:48 am

What type of surgery did you have in India for the varicocele, what type of hernia do you have now, and what type of surgery is planned for November 1? You might not even be a candidate for a Shouldice procedure. There are many types of hernias and many types of repair.

Good luck.

• MarkT

September 15, 2023 at 7:07 am

How accessible is Shouldice Hospital to you? There is a ‘no appointment or referral required’ policy with their free examination clinic. If you can’t attend, but your doctor will supply a letter confirming the hernia diagnosis, they will schedule surgery in advance.

I’ve had two flawless repairs there (one side 30yrs ago, the other 20yrs ago) and would highly suggest consulting with them:

https://www.shouldice.com

• David M

September 14, 2023 at 4:35 pm

Other than while sleeping, I wear a truss at all times. I think it helps keep it back. I know that it helps to keep it from hurting. The one I use doesn’t keep it totally reduced, but it does keep it from fully popping out. My only worry about the truss is whether it’s pushing the hernia wider as it keeps it from pushing outward. At any rate, I rarely notice my tennis ball hernia when I exercise. I do 14-16 minute walking miles, but I don’t get a sense that those are stressing the hernia any, at least with the truss on.

It is probably time for me to get it fixed, but from a discomfort level, I would almost rather never get it fixed. I’m just afraid of it getting out of hand.

• Johnson M

September 14, 2023 at 1:47 pm

I have had a slight bulge for the last 15 years, but never thought it was hernia until it grew and started popping out a month ago after going for runs. I have tentatively started walking to see how it goes.

• David M

September 13, 2023 at 5:08 pm

I’ve had my hernia for at least 15 years. Now, I don’t recommend waiting 15 years to get it fixed, but I don’t understand why you think three months is a far time out. Does it hurt? It probably isn’t going to cause you to curtail your exercise. I wouldn’t be straining my groin lifting weights in the wrong way, but I don’t think running and walking are particularly damaging. I believe the experts say they are not. I could be wrong though.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by  David M.