News Feed Discussions New to the forum need some advice.

• New to the forum need some advice.

Posted by Tomburns on March 1, 2016 at 7:13 pm

Hey everyone I just signed up to the forum I’m 26 years old from north wales. Last year I had my hernia repaired with mesh and although i’m relived I finally got it sorted after living with it for years I do get a bit of pain on my side usually after being on my feet a few hours the pain is a dull throbbing that feels more like its from the scar rather than the more internal pain that I use to get from my hernia. Is it normal to get some pain nearly 12 month after surgery? Its not bad I can still get on with work its just a bit uncomfortable and makes me worry.

fromindia25 replied 8 years ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Tomburns

April 17, 2016 at 1:28 pm

New to the forum need some advice.

I’m sorry to hear your in pain after surgery. I think i was experiencing some pain for a few months after tho. I had to wear my trousers either with the elastic below or above the scar because it was sore and felt like burning and sometimes pinching. I had bruising down the inside of my right leg as well that was sore for a while but got better so hopefully things will improve for you over time and you’ll be be glad you went through with it 🙂

• fromindia25

April 17, 2016 at 3:54 am

I also had inguinal hernia repaired by general surgeon using prolene hernia system. What I am feeling even after 4 months of surgery is. Pulling , stabbing like feeling in area above hip bone..when I walk or run. I also had burning like sensations in thigh most of time which I guess is getting better with time. I also hope I get better with time..but for now it is not getting better. I am so happy for you and wish I could write same as like you..I am also of your age.. And yes I don’t want to scare any one as I also believe hernia surgery making life of various people better..but I think I am not one of them.

• Momof4

April 17, 2016 at 12:51 am

Dr. Goldstein,
    I like the reasonable, sound advice you give on this forum. I have had lots of unfortunate circumstances that put me in that 5%, but certainly never intend to “scare” anyone out of having hernia surgery. I guess on a forum like this the ones who have had problems speak the loudest. My intention is not to influence anyone negatively, but to try to find help for myself and others who may be suffering needlessly. Thank you for your input on many questions. We are grateful for the “hernia experts” out there.

• sngoldstein

April 16, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for posting. This is the result 95% of patients get with modern hernia surgery. And, unfortunately, the 5% who are unhappy scare a lot of people who would benefit from an operation.

• Tomburns

April 15, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I had a operation with mesh. The doctors said I’d probably had the hernia since birth which would make sense because I had my legs over my head and my testicles were up inside my stomach when i was born. Wasn’t until I was 18 i started to get pain and at that point the hernia wasn’t always noticeable so was missed a couple of times by doctors, but by the time i got to 24 it was obvious. Having a operation was my biggest fear I can’t stand blood or needles but to be honest it was fine the worst part was having my blood taken for the pre opp! Having the needle in my hand was something I was really worried about as well but when the time came I was fine with it. Since my last post I’ve not really had any pain and am getting on very well so for me the operation has really helped and I’m a lot happier not having the daily worry of it any more.

• fromindia25

April 14, 2016 at 2:02 pm

and although i’m relived I finally got it sorted. How did you get it sorted. What course of action did you take. If you could tell..it will be great help

• drtowfigh

March 7, 2016 at 5:38 am

Twinges, dull aches, pulling sensations maybe related to the hernia repair and almost alsoays resolve with time. Sometimes it may take over a year. As long as the pain is not debilitating, your body should help take care of the symptoms as it is constantly remodeling scar tissue.

• sngoldstein

March 1, 2016 at 7:50 pm

No, that is not unusual. When I broke my ankle it ached on and off for about 2 years. That is how long it takes for the scar to fully remodel and the inflammation to subside. As long as there is no bulge and you are functional, you are fine. Some Ibuprofen will help when it bothers you.