News Feed Discussions No mesh hernia repair: Experiences with Dr William Brown? Others?

• No mesh hernia repair: Experiences with Dr William Brown? Others?

Posted by C Jekid on November 13, 2018 at 10:44 pm

Are there any patient experiences with Dr William Brown here? Or other doctors for no mesh inguinal hernia repair? What was your experience? How long did it take to recover? Has he been doing the same methods for a long time with good outcomes? Any good or bad experiences?

I have not seen much topical reports for this doctor and inguinal Hernia, mostly for sports hernia which I understand is different.

Thank you.

drtowfigh replied 5 years, 3 months ago 7 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 2, 2019 at 5:52 pm

Surgeons have long “experimented” with variations in surgical techniques. That’s how each of the different named hernia techniques have become part of the normal options.

• G-K

January 30, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Hi Brady,

I don’t think combining techniques is considered experimental. And I believe Dr. Brown often blends techniques to best address the specific anatomy of each hernia he’s dealing with.

Here’s a link to a page on Dr. Brown’s website where he discusses this: https://www.sportshernia.com/no-mesh-hernia-repair/repair/

• Brady

January 30, 2019 at 8:31 pm

Is it considered experiemntal to combine the two repair of Bassini with Desarda? How many times has the Dr performed that and what has been the success rate if you know? [USER=”2781″]G-K[/USER]

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] do you have any thought on this surgery method?

• G-K

January 23, 2019 at 9:51 pm

I believe Dr Brown told me it was a direct hernia, and yes it had become painful before surgery. As for the recovery period I had to really baby myself. But maybe after a couple of weeks I might have been able to do very light office type work, though driving was difficult until about four weeks. I don’t have any real pain now other than a bit of a pulling sensation on the muscles if I twist a certain way. But even that’s getting better with time.

• Chaunce1234

January 23, 2019 at 8:11 pm
    quote G-K:

Since this was a redo surgery Dr Brown tailored his repair blending two surgical techniques to deal with the specific anatomy of my hernia. He used the Bassini technique to repair the inguinal floor and then used a version of the Desarda technique bringing the external oblique over it to further reinforce it. It was done with local anesthesia and IV sedation and I went home the same day riding three hours in a car with minimal discomfort.

At eight months now the repair feels great. Which is especially amazing considering this was a redo surgery.

However, people should to be aware that the recovery for a surgery of this type can take longer which I think is due to the amount of suturing that needs to be done to the muscles in order to close the hernia without mesh. So it was about 4 weeks before I felt healed enough to comfortably drive a car. But that’s a small price to pay for not having to worry about chronic pain or other complications from mesh.

[USER=”2781″]G-K[/USER] Thanks for your sharing your experience. Was your hernia a direct or indirect or femoral? Was the hernia painful before the surgery? Were you able to work and function during your 4 week recovery? Do you have any pain or nerve issues now?

• G-K

January 21, 2019 at 9:10 pm

Good intentions, Yes my original surgery was a “pure tissue repair”. And for most of those years it didn’t give me any trouble until a little over a year ago when I got the flu and had a really bad cough that lasted for weeks. After that it became painful and bulged out again. I never realized how much strain coughing puts on the inguinal canal.

• G-K

January 20, 2019 at 7:01 am

Good intentions,

My original surgery was a “pure tissue repair” but I don’t know what surgical technique was used. It never gave me any real trouble until a little over a year ago when I had a bad flu that caused horrible coughing that went on for weeks. I never realized how much strain coughing puts on the inguinal canal. But it does and it was more than the old repair could take. After that it budged out and became painful, and I realized it had to be repaired again. I guess I should look at it as a success that I got that many years out of the first repair.

• dog

January 19, 2019 at 10:03 pm

Good intentions Why was it removed AS A SPAM…it means that we cant trust to her story ? drtowfigh

• Good intentions

January 19, 2019 at 9:57 pm

G-K I saw your post and had planned to ask you about the method for the original surgery. If I recall right you said that it was 34 years ago. So about 1984. Was it a pure tissue repair? No “other materials”. How was life for the those 34 years? Success stories are good to hear. 34 years would be a success, I think.

• Good intentions

January 19, 2019 at 9:52 pm

This is the thread which had G-K’s post deleted as SPAM. [USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] [USER=”2781″]G-K[/USER]

• dog

January 19, 2019 at 11:00 am

Dear G-K Thank you for your time to sharing insights and your personal success story . I am also planing to surgery with dr. Brown in 3 weeks !

• G-K

January 19, 2019 at 8:22 am

I’’m a very thin 58 year old guy. Dr Brown did a non-mesh inguinal hernia repair on me in May of 2018. It had originally been repaired 34 years ago by a less experienced surgeon and had recently reoccurred.

Since this was a redo surgery Dr Brown tailored his repair blending two surgical techniques to deal with the specific anatomy of my hernia. He used the Bassini technique to repair the inguinal floor and then used a version of the Desarda technique bringing the external oblique over it to further reinforce it. It was done with local anesthesia and IV sedation and I went home the same day riding three hours in a car with minimal discomfort.

At eight months now the repair feels great. Which is especially amazing considering this was a redo surgery.

However, people should to be aware that the recovery for a surgery of this type can take longer which I think is due to the amount of suturing that needs to be done to the muscles in order to close the hernia without mesh. So it was about 4 weeks before I felt healed enough to comfortably drive a car. But that’s a small price to pay for not having to worry about chronic pain or other complications from mesh.

So based on my experience I would highly recommend Dr Brown. He’’s a very friendly person and is great at taking time to answer your questions, even giving you is cell phone number. And he’’s very diligent at checking on you each day after the surgery.

He’’s a staunch opponent of mesh. And he’’s been focused on inguinal hernias and sport hernia repairs for most of his career with about half of the surgeries he does each year being regular inguinal hernias. I don’’t think you could find a better surgeon to do a non-mesh inguinal hernia repair than Dr Brown.

• Brady

January 14, 2019 at 11:32 pm

I’m searching web nothing comes up with research for hernias for him. Found some about sport hernias but nothing for hernias.

So how to verify experience and outcomes?

• dog

January 12, 2019 at 8:45 pm
  • dog

January 12, 2019 at 6:00 am

Not personal..but talk to him all the time …he is truly outstanding perfectionist and the only one i know Anti Mesh activist. What is making you doubt . ?

• dog

January 12, 2019 at 5:58 am

Brady Not by experience yet ..but i am in communicating with Dr. Brown for long time ..he is truly outstanding perfectionist and the only one i know Anti Mesh activist. What is making you doubt . Could you please let us know ? I also can ask him .

• Brady

January 12, 2019 at 3:08 am

Same questions, can anyone recommend Dr W.Brown on experience? Is he reputable and skilled?

• Brady

January 11, 2019 at 12:52 am

I have the same question, can anyone offer direct opinion for Dr WBrown as a patient or a doctor? Is he considered reputable and knowledgable? Considering him as option for inginual hernia repair.

Thanks

• dog

November 18, 2018 at 10:55 pm

It is from Dr, Brown
    below

Dear Vladislav.
    My original training was in the repair of inguinal hernias.
    I repair about 200 inguinal hernias each year. I use a non mesh repair.
    Several of the options for non mesh repairs can be found at:
    https://www.sportshernia.com/no-mesh-hernia-repair/types-repair/
    Thank you.

Bill Brown, M.D.
    510 793 2404 Office
    650 703 9694 Cell

• Good intentions

November 14, 2018 at 7:29 pm

There are quite a few references to Dr. Brown on this forum. Use Google to search the site if the search function doesn’t find them. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=cXfsW8eHDMLB0PEP8a63sA0&q=site%3Aherniatalk.com+dr.+Brown&btnK=Google+Search&oq=site%3Aherniatalk.com+dr.+Brown&gs_l=psy-ab.3…1129.8207..9438…0.0..0.49.1112.29……0….1..gws-wiz…..0..0j0i131j0i10.n1AfEIXY61w