News Feed Discussions No mesh Umbilical Hernia Repair

• No mesh Umbilical Hernia Repair

Posted by kcm on August 19, 2018 at 5:53 pm

I was diagnosed with an umbilical hernia and there is a possibility that I also have a second right side hernia.
    I am investigating no mesh repairs.
    Dr. Robert Tomas uses the Desarda method for inguinal hernia and also performs a no mesh repair for umbilical hernias.
    This is the description about his umbilical hernia repair from his website:

“Our repair requires a three layered closure that closes the defect and repairs the tissue above and below the defect to lower the recurrence. This patent pending technique requires three rows of sutures to reinforce the area above and below the defect or hole lower the recurrence dramatically. Recurrence rate for this technique is less than 5%. The much larger hernias such as a cantaloupe size hernia may require a biologic mesh that is sutured under the defect. Our center uses Alloderm which your body does not react to and it rarely gets infected. However, the majority (90%) of umbilical hernias that are repaired at Desarda Hernia Center, USA are repaired without mesh with the three layered suture technique that is patent pending by Dr. Robert Tomas.”

I am hoping surgeons and members on this forum may have comments on this no mesh umbilical repair method or give me other suggestions for no mesh umbilical repair.

Many Thanks!

kcm replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kcm

September 2, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Thank you Good Intentions for answering my post.

I had my appointment with Dr. Tomas and was diagnosed with a ventral hernia (not incisional) with an umbilical component.

I was not diagnosed with an inguinal hernia.
    If I understood correctly, it was suggested that my heavy right leg and right side discomfort / pain may be symptoms caused from the other hernias.

This is my original posting in case anyone is interested in my diagnostic progression.
    https://www.herniatalk.com/5478-is-it-reasonable-to-believe-i-have-a-hidden-hernia

I had contacted Dr. Kang about no mesh umbilical repairs and Dr. Tomas’ umbilical suture repair and I was appreciative that he responded to me:

“Actually I am not sure what Dr. Tomas’ three layered closure, but as I posted the small umbilical hernia can be repaired safely without mesh at all.”

Dr. Tomas also uses this type of repair for ventral hernias:
    “Utilizes a patent pending triple sutured repair for ventral hernias. Low recurrence rate, less than 4%.

Since I was also diagnosed with a ventral hernia I am researching this type of hernia and starting to form questions regarding this.

Thanks again.

• Good intentions

September 1, 2018 at 2:16 am

You’ve probably had your appointment already, but “dog” has done quite a bit of research on the technique. Dr. Kang has also commented generally about many of the suturing techniques.

https://www.herniatalk.com/8427-letter-to-me-directly-from-prof-dr-desarda-m-p

• kcm

August 28, 2018 at 5:04 pm

I scheduled a consultation with Dr. Tomas this week. Does anyone have a comment on his repair technique? Or can anyone give me advice on what to ask him regarding his method of repair. Thank you!