News Feed Discussions On my way

• On my way

Posted by Dave Graham on September 2, 2018 at 8:49 pm

I have asked for information here before, just want to let you all know: I have IH surgery coming up next week. It will be with local anesthetic and minimal sedation. I put surgery off for a long time, since the IH didn’t interfere with anything, and I didn’t want to think about surgery. However, about six weeks ago, I noticed it was larger, so I made the decision. I have met with my surgeon two or three times-he is actually the person who first diagnosed me a few years ago, and from all I’ve seen he is good . To say I am nervous is putting it mildly-I have gray in my beard, but have never had any type of surgery before, that’s one reason I don’t want general anesthesia. I live a very simple life-I work for the Nat. Park Service (visitor info) and spend my spare time hiking and exploring. Also I’ve been a runner all my life. I’ve slowed down a lot, but still, my 30 minutes or so every day is important to me. All I want in this world is to get back to my work, to hiking, and to my daily work-out. The surgeon told me one week off work would be plenty, and I can start walking soon post-surgery. I devoutly hope he is right-I think I dread the recovery more than the surgery-hate the thought of being out of action. Anyway- wish me luck. Too bad these things happen to us, but there it is.

Good intentions replied 5 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Good intentions

September 5, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Good luck Dave Graham. Can you give some detail on what your surgeon plans? It sounds like an open surgery. Will it be with mesh or pure tissue?

• Karen

September 5, 2018 at 12:34 am

I.just had surgery last week. I also never had surgery before but it went very well. I had laproscopic surgery under general anesthesia . I still have pain issues as expected but the entire surgical experience went very well. Everyone was just so wonderful to me and i couldnt have asked for better team. It is normal to be nervous but all will be fine. Just follow doctors orders and take it slow.

• Dave Graham

September 4, 2018 at 10:38 pm

Chaunce-Thank you-that is excellent advice and information. I will print it to use.

• Chaunce1234

September 3, 2018 at 8:44 pm

[USER=”1366″]Dave Graham[/USER] best of luck, and keep us updated on your surgery and progress!

It is very understandable to be nervous before surgery, and most surgeons and anesthesiologists are accustomed to basically all patients having anxiety related to any procedure. I would encourage you to share that you are nervous with your care team, as they should be able to help you relax through select medications.

Listen to the doctors advice for the recovery period, listen to your body as well.

Eat as healthy as you can, aim to boost your vegetable and protein intake to expedite the healing process.

It’s also helpful to preemptively get things like Milk of Magnesia (makes having a bowel movement much easier, you do not want to get constipated after any abdominal surgery), ice packs, some healthy easy snacks, pain medication(s), a pillow to press against your wound if you sneeze/cough/toilet, a comfortable bed and/or seating situation, and maybe a few good movies or TV shows you want to catch up on.

Finally, if you feel you had a positive surgical experience afterwards, please share the name of the doctor (and surgery type) on these forums afterwards so that other patients can potentially benefit as well.

Good luck!