News Feed Discussions Open inguinal hernia repair monday

• Open inguinal hernia repair monday

Posted by Smurph71904 on April 26, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Hi. I had an open inguinal hernia repair on Monday at 8am. I’m not really sure why my surgeon went with the open repair approach when we planned for the laparoscopic approach. But, I have a few questions.

it really looks like my hernia is still there. There is a large amount of swelling still visible. I have been on Google all day but I am worried. I dont have my follow up for another week.

I have had some serious sneezes and coughs (thanks Georgia pollen) and as dumb as this sounds I’m so worried I might have torn the repair. Is that possible? I mean my hips and lower back are aching. Its weird.

that’s really it, I’m feeling much better than every day before but it still hurts.

thanks 🙂

Smurph71904 replied 5 years, 5 months ago 7 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Smurph71904

October 18, 2018 at 1:21 am

I have a followup with the surgeon on Tuesday and I will get alllll of these details for you guys! I have a secondary hernia on the opposite side that needs repair..I will ask for the type of mesh and why he did an open.

the surgeon is in Canton GA his name is Dr. Dua.

he is phenomenal. I love him.

thanks guys

• Chaunce1234

August 3, 2018 at 7:21 pm
    quote Smurph71904:

Just an update for anyone searching on this thread… open hernia repairs.

I am now 4 months post op.

I have 0 pain. Still extremely numb, that is always weird. But I can work out like normal, run and everything. My surgeon was phenomenal. I cannot say enough great things about him. I feel so much better since having the surgery, I cannot believe I let it go for nearly a year.

The recovery was difficult. It was painful to sit up, roll over, breathe, cough, sneeze. I slept a lot but did not take pain meds stronger than tylenol. That pain subsided after about 1 1/2 weeks. The swelling DID go away. It felt like there was a finger in my abdomen for a long time. I kept thinking, “maybe he left something in there”. but it is gone.

thanks for all of the responses, it was nice to know I wasn’t losing my mind! 🙂

This is fantastic to hear, thank you for the follow up.

I will echo [USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] and please do share some more details about your specific hernia repair, the surgeon, and location of where the surgeon is, as other patients may be very interested in this.

Thanks again, best of luck.

• Good intentions

August 3, 2018 at 4:47 am

That is great news. Can you give more detail on the type of open repair? Was mesh used? Do you know the type and/or brand?

Can you give the surgeon’s name? I don’t think that they mind, if people are saying good things about them. We need to know who the good ones are.

Good luck. I hope things keep working for you.

• Smurph71904

August 2, 2018 at 11:35 am

Just an update for anyone searching on this thread… open hernia repairs.

I am now 4 months post op.

I have 0 pain. Still extremely numb, that is always weird. But I can work out like normal, run and everything. My surgeon was phenomenal. I cannot say enough great things about him. I feel so much better since having the surgery, I cannot believe I let it go for nearly a year.

The recovery was difficult. It was painful to sit up, roll over, breathe, cough, sneeze. I slept a lot but did not take pain meds stronger than tylenol. That pain subsided after about 1 1/2 weeks. The swelling DID go away. It felt like there was a finger in my abdomen for a long time. I kept thinking, “maybe he left something in there”. but it is gone.

thanks for all of the responses, it was nice to know I wasn’t losing my mind! 🙂

• drtowfigh

April 28, 2018 at 5:25 pm

[USER=”2051″]ajm222[/USER] Agree with you. 😉

• Chaunce1234

April 28, 2018 at 1:51 am

You’re only a few days out from surgery so swelling is normal and to be expected. I wouldn’t worry too much, but if you are concerned then contact surgeon for advice and follow-up.

I would echo what the other posters said too; after any abdominal surgery, try to brace a pillow or something like folded up towel against your abdomen and incision area to reduce the sudden expansion when coughing, sneezing, going to the bathroom, etc.

Good luck! Keep us updated on your progress and how you’re feeling.

• Jim82

April 28, 2018 at 1:32 am

I’m about 3 weeks post op. What worked really good for me regarding coughing/sneezing (also in GA)was to place a pillow against my groin and abdomen and lean against a wall or dresser when coughing.

• miner

April 27, 2018 at 5:10 pm

Hold a pillow up against your groin when you sneeze or cough, blow your nose etc. That was what a hernia surgeon told me.

• ajm222

April 27, 2018 at 2:53 pm

It’s my understanding that swelling and inflammation in the area, particularly after an open repair, is quite common and can even take weeks or in some cases months to fully subside. So I don’t think that in an of itself is evidence the hernia wasn’t adequately repaired. It’s probably technically possible to tear the repair with coughs and sneezes, especially if the repair was done via open method vs. laparoscopic. But probably quite unlikely. Just try and keep it to a minimum and follow doctor’s orders. If you just had this done Monday, I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions too quickly. Surgery is hard on the body and recovery takes time. You are definitely going to hurt and be sore for a while, in a number of different and unexpected ways. But only your surgeon will know for sure if everything is going as it should. I would see what they say when you go in. Or if you are really concerned I wouldn’t hesitate to call and speak with them or go in for an earlier follow-up to put your mind at ease.