News Feed Discussions Open vs. Laparoscopic mesh removal?

• localCivilian

June 29, 2019 at 7:47 pm

I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. So I assume Dr. Belyansky is not in-network with your insurance? Or is he in your network but they’re just wanting you to go to someone who is local?

Out of your choices, I would leave out Dr. Peterson. I really have seen mixed reviews from him, to be honest. Dr. Brown seems to be a fantastic surgeon, but he does open removal. It would seem best to remove it laparoscopically or robotically.

Dr. Brian Jacob and Dr. Yuri Novitsky remove mesh laparoscopically and robotically routinely and they’re both in New York if you wouldn’t mind traveling again. But if they’re not in your network then it might just be a repeated cycle of what you went through with your insurance and Dr. Belyansky. It’s worth giving both of their offices a call and checking if they accept your insurance. From what I’ve looked up on my own, if you have a PPO plan with any major insurance company, Dr. Novitsky would most likely be in network.

Dr. Towfigh is in Los Angeles and she’s an out of network provider. So if you’re willing to pay out of pocket with Dr. Belyansky, it’s worth giving a shot going to Dr. Towfigh if you can’t find someone in your network who’s experienced in mesh removal. From all the studies I’ve read, mesh removal done laparoscopically or robotically have the best outcomes compared to open removal. I know Dr. Towfigh did a study recently where she had compared laparoscopic removal and robotic assisted removal and I believe she found that only one nerve injury was reported and not a single vessel or spermatic chord injury was reported in the robotic group. So if you can find anyone who can do it robotically, that would be good. But of course it also comes with skill so finding an experienced surgeon is crucial.

• Good intentions

June 29, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Contact Dr. Peter Billing, in Kirkland, WA. https://transformweightloss.com/

He moved to Kirkland, from Shoreline. He does laparoscopic TAPP removal. I have had very good results after his removal of the Bard Soft Mesh that I had originally implanted for “repair” of a direct right side hernia. Two 6×6 pieces, ~ 60 inches squared I’d guess, after trimming to fit.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=h7sXXdC1NeKCk-4PvYKS-Ag&q=site%3Aherniatalk.com+peter+billing&oq=site%3Aherniatalk.com+peter+billing&gs_l=psy-ab.3…956.21271..21528…1.0..0.60.1604.40……0….1..gws-wiz…..0..0j0i131j0i10.QtRjlFT27Dc

Page 2 of 2