News Feed Discussions Possible Recurrent Hernia

• Possible Recurrent Hernia

Posted by Leigh2018 on June 28, 2021 at 5:18 am

Dear Dr. Towfigh,

I had a hernia repair with mesh that failed in 2001 and then it was redone laparoscopically in 2007. I had some scar tissue that was removed a couple of times back in 2008 and 2009. Recently I have had some right sided groin pain that seems to radiate to by right side and around to the kidney area. I am not sure this is a recurrent hernia or scar tissue, etc. I had an extreme bout of constipation which I think may have disrupted the mesh, etc. Lately it has been hard to sleep because my right side hurts. Do you think an exploratory surgery would be good in this case. It is hurting more and I am not sure what to do.

Leigh2018 replied 2 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Leigh2018

June 29, 2021 at 6:44 am

The pain I had started gradually immediately after the constipation. The pain is mostly on the right side of the right testicle. The pain may radiate a little higher and sometimes I can feel it on the right flank a little. (Hopefully I am describing it correctly). It seems like it helps to stand up when there is some pain sitting down and walking for a bit. One thing I didn’t say was after my last surgery about 12 years ago, the surgeon went in and removed some scar tissue which helped a lot. I was completely pain free after that except with some occasional short lived pain which I attributed to scar tissue. When I had imaging studies before my last hernia operation more than 12 years ago, they didn’t show anything. I really don’t want this done again because it is time consuming, etc. I am really in good shape and prior to this pain, I have been extensively working out for a mountain climb this summer which looks like I will have to postpone. I am age 70 and look like I am about 55 to 60.

• Good intentions

June 28, 2021 at 9:43 am

Removal of scar tissue is unusual. Was that done laparoscopically? That would be essentially like exploratory surgery. What was the reason for the scar tissue removal?

You didn’t define the time frames for your recent pain. How long have you had it, did it start immediately after the constipation, etc. Your last surgery was 12 years ago, but you had three separate surgeries before then. That’s a lot of surgery. A recurrence from a mesh repair after 12 years is not supposed to happen, according to the mesh proponents. 12 years is a pretty good run though, I hope they’ve been a good, pain-free, 12 years.

The first post in this Topic, below, will give you an idea of what can happen with imaging. Some doctors will see a recurrence, some will see nothing. Good luck.

https://herniatalk.com/forums/topic/completely-divergent-opinions-how-is-this-possible-in-this-day-and-age/

Completely divergent opinions. How is this possible in this day and age?

• drtowfigh

June 28, 2021 at 6:15 am

Exploratory surgery is almost never the first line. You likely have a recurrence. This needs to be worked up, with imaging at the very least. You need more information so there is a plan of care, before ever jumping into surgery.