Post Hernia Mesh Issues – Looking for next steps, thoughts, feedback?
Hello, This is my first time posting and reaching out about my issues following my Hernia Inguinal right side repair roughly 14 months ago. I don’t want to go into a ton of detail on my reasons for getting mesh repair vs. talking about where I am at today. Let’s just say I had the right side hernia pop over a weekend, spent two weeks still not knowing what it was, running and exercising with it pushing out etc. Ended up in the ER after having the hernia push through more than I had experienced since it started, then the ER Dr.. telling me I needed to get it fixed asap, then onto hernia Dr.’s who argued that it was such a small hernia that it could wait, but after explaining I had an international trip coming up in 2-3 months, they directed me to take the mesh repair option.
Not knowing what I know now about mesh, I opted to take the mesh repair surgery. Post surgery 14 months ago while I was in the recovery room, I woke up to excruciating pain. The Dr.’s at the time said they had to do more irrigation than expected, then finally when my Dr. that did the actual surgery showed up he indicated that he had to apply a much larger area of mesh due to the hernia being significantly larger than expected. (Imaging indicated a 50 cent piece size hernia) turns out it was much larger when they got in there to do the work. They communicated to me that my immediate pain was due to the larger mesh used.
Mesh used was 3D Max Light.
Issues following Mesh repair (Post Op 14 Months and still ongoing):
– It took me roughly 3-4 weeks to get to a point where the post op pain was tolerable and I wasn’t heavy on pain meds and could go back to work. (It was “marketed” to me heavily that I would only need about two weeks, before I would be back to aka “normal”. Riding bikes, running, etc.) – back to normal hasn’t really happened for me. A follow up ultrasound showed no issues…(According to my Hernia Dr.)
– I spent the next 6 months doing follow ups with my Dr. and his sub Dr.’s, asking about my following issues: Right side area where the mesh and hernia was located continued to have spasm type pain, having pressure from needing to go to the bathroom 1 or 2 caused pain and tenderness in the area, pressure or stretching of the area has caused sharp to dull pains, tightness, etc. Pain does radiate down into my right testicle.
– Each time I did my monthly follow up sessions the Dr.s continued to classify my healing into “6 months needed to recover” to eventually “It’s going to take up to a year or more”. The Dr.s started discussing nerve numbing options with me, but I respectfully have declined this as a option.
– At this time I’m continuing to have discomfort in the area of the mesh implant. After ~3 months post op I developed a rash like issue on my skin, in the exact area of the mesh and around my lower torso. I’ve returned to my hernia Dr. who indicated he had never seen anything like it before, then also to my family Dr. who just prescribed steroid cream that never fixed it. I have reddish & spots and almost bruise like skin over the mesh area. No Dr. to date has been able to explain this to me and has not indicated that it could be a mesh allergic reaction.
– My last issues which is difficult to discuss. I have no sexual issues and can perform, the problem I’m having is what I believe is called “painful ejaculation”. My issue during ejaculation is my right side literally feels like it’s backed up and a ton of pressure is pushing on the right side and or backing up my release. I then immediately have spasms in the right side inguinal area that come up into my right obliques. This pain basically has me on the floor until the spasms stop. I then have 1-2 days of soreness and what feels like post injury healing time before the pain fully subsides.
I’ve been reading a lot about mesh removal. However I’m also aware there can be down sides to this. My issues are that no one has explained my skin condition following the operation, when I’m not having discomfort or any paid radiating down to my right testicle I feel pretty good, good enough to do a light run etc. However this is only 10% or less of the time. I live in WA state and just recently started to look for Dr.s that would or could take out the mesh, so I’m just starting. I feel as if my issues are not 100% enough to push mesh removal, however after 14 months of still having pain, discomfort, sexual issues, and this rash type issue, it does not appear to be getting better and I do not feel as if it’s something I should or can continue to just live with.
Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Log in to reply.