News Feed Discussions Progrip polyester mesh removal: anecdotal experiences and recommendations?

• Progrip polyester mesh removal: anecdotal experiences and recommendations?

Posted by JamesDoncaster on December 17, 2019 at 11:44 pm

I had an laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair with Progrip self-fixating mesh in August of 2019. Since that time, I have been in chronic pain. My surgeon has ruled out infection or nerve damage. And, based on my symptoms, multiple doctors believe it is the mesh that causes the pain. At the moment, I can do basically everything I could do before my hernia (even lift weights). But, I am constantly in pain. I am always on pain-killers. Sleeping and sitting in certain positions is difficult. And, frankly, life is just really enjoyable. So, I considering undergoing mesh removal surgery.

Before I elect to do mesh removal, however, I really would like to get some information from people who have had the Progrip self-fixating mesh removed. I know many people have had mesh removed because of a trapped nerve or some other complication. I am really just interested to hear experiences from people who were in a similar situation to me (no nerve entrapment — just mesh pain from a polyester Progrip mesh). In particular, I would like to know

1. Which doctor did you use?
    2. Compared to before surgery, do you feel better 2-3 months after surgery?
    3. Have you been able to return to a mostly normal life? That is, you are off pain killers and can you generally go about your usual activities without constantly thinking about pain or mesh?
    4. Can you participate in physical activities like running, biking and lifting weights?

I am considering the following Doctors. If anybody had anecdotal experience with any of them, I would like to get that information as well (even if it was not for mesh removal)

1. William Brown (Sports Hernia in Fremont, CA)
    2. Brian Jacob (NYC Hernia, New York, NY)
    3. Peter Billing (Transform Weight Loss, Seattle, WA)
    4. David Chen (UCLA, Los Angeles, CA)
    5. Igor Belyansky (Anne Arundel Medical Center, Maryland)

Of course, if there is a doctor that is not on the list, that you would highly recommend, feel free to make the suggestion. One note, I am not considering Dr. Towfigh (Beverly Hills) simply because of cost considerations.

Thanks very much in advance for any information you are willing to provide.

JamesDoncaster replied 4 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • JamesDoncaster

December 21, 2019 at 4:21 am

Anybody have mesh removal experiences with Andrew Wright? He’s a surgeon at UW Medicine and his name has popped up on the forum before (but not in the context of mesh removal).

• Good intentions

December 18, 2019 at 5:17 pm
    quote ajm222:

this issue you have here with your abdominal wall and needing to leave the top button undone – was that something that was an issue before removal as well?

[USER=”2051″]ajm222[/USER] Yes, there was only a short time period, a few weeks after implantation, where my clothes fit normally. I had only been walking for recovery up to that point. Once I started getting more active the area swelled and got stiff again. When the mesh was inside the area around my navel would actually get sore.

After three years of the mesh I think that so many cycles of damage, healing, and “restructuring” had happened that there was a lot of extra tissue/collagen built up, that remained after the mesh was removed. It seems to be reducing, very slowly, as I continue to get back in to “shape”, literally.

• Good intentions

December 18, 2019 at 5:10 pm
    quote dh305:

[USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] i have the same thing going on with my abdomen (round/hard) since the surgery. Any idea of the cause? I thought it was just because I haven’t worked my abs in 6 months.

[USER=”2987″]dh305[/USER] Tissue grows in to the mesh and locks up the fibers. They can’t slide by each other anymore like they can when the fibers are loose and surrounded by air, before it’s implanted in the body. The combination of mesh and tissue/collagen is not soft or flexible. Because they use so much mesh a large plate of stiff tissue is created, instead of a small stiff area. That is my theory. Stiff thick tissue is left after the mesh is removed, that’s why I still have trouble with the button. I think that it will reduce over time as the body restructures it.

That’s my thinking. I think that as long as the mesh is there the area will always be stiff. The attempts to expel or destroy the foreign body will continue.

Sorry, that probably doesn’t make you feel more hopeful. Good luck.

• ajm222

December 18, 2019 at 2:02 pm
    quote Good intentions:

I just posted something about Dr. Billing, linked below. There is probably more detail in some of my other posts also.

Dr. Kang is known for non-mesh hernia repair, but I think that he will remove mesh also. But, a laparoscopic removal might be best for you, considering how much area has probably been covered by the mesh in your original surgery.

I just got back from a vigorous trail hike and barely thought about the old mesh problems. One left over effect though is that my abdominal wall is still thicker and stiffer than it had been before surgery. I still often have to leave the top button undone on my pants.

It has barely been four months for you. It will probably be difficult to get your insurance company to pay for removal without having to go through months of “pain management” beforehand.

Good luck. [USER=”3098″]deeoeraclea[/USER]

https://www.herniatalk.com/12176-one-year-seven-months-since-mesh-removal

this issue you have here with your abdominal wall and needing to leave the top button undone – was that something that was an issue before removal as well?

• JamesDoncaster

December 18, 2019 at 3:18 am
    quote Good intentions:

I just posted something about Dr. Billing, linked below. There is probably more detail in some of my other posts also.

Dr. Kang is known for non-mesh hernia repair, but I think that he will remove mesh also. But, a laparoscopic removal might be best for you, considering how much area has probably been covered by the mesh in your original surgery.

I just got back from a vigorous trail hike and barely thought about the old mesh problems. One left over effect though is that my abdominal wall is still thicker and stiffer than it had been before surgery. I still often have to leave the top button undone on my pants.

It has barely been four months for you. It will probably be difficult to get your insurance company to pay for removal without having to go through months of “pain management” beforehand.

OMG! Thank you so much for posting this. I have been extremely depressed thinking that I have no hope of ever being normal again. After reading through your previous posts, I am very hopeful I’ll be able to return to a normal life. Thank you again for sharing your story.

• dh305

December 18, 2019 at 1:59 am

[USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] i have the same thing going on with my abdomen (round/hard) since the surgery. Any idea of the cause? I thought it was just because I haven’t worked my abs in 6 months.

• Good intentions

December 18, 2019 at 12:10 am