News Feed Discussions Prostate AND hernia

• Prostate AND hernia

Posted by William Bryant on October 26, 2021 at 3:30 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry to be a persistent poster but am at a low ebb. Since discovering my Rh hernia a few weeks ago, I’ve noticed I am urinating very frequently. I get a mild urge almost straight away after voiding but It know I dint need to act. I can hold out for 3 hours (or longer, dont know if that is good or not to do that). Flow is reasonable but not as strong as when young.

Could a hernia make urinary symptoms worse?

I have always urinated a lot but now much more since hernia. Could that happen or just coincidence?

I’ve looked at previous posts ref hernia and prostate and it seems it’s best to have the prostate done first. Medication is an option but finasteride can cause (permanent) ED whilst the bladder neck relaxer can cause dry ejaculation.

Surgery: there are numerous options but many can affect erections adversely.

Then I believe you have to wait for prostate surgery to heal before getting hernia surgery. Getting over prostate surgery can take quite a time.

So the 2nd question is, does having prostate surgery make hernia repair surgery more difficult?

Thirdly, with both prostate and hernia surgery in the ‘sensitive’ area – does having two procedures increase the risk to sexual function?

Sorry to keep asking for advice but it is affect me badly.

Thanks for any, and all help.

William Bryant replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • William Bryant

October 27, 2021 at 3:29 am

Thanks Eu. I think the mesh can get it in the way but not sure if non mesh similarly makes prostate surgery difficult…

The problem that can arise if hernia is done before prostate surgery is that the patient can retain urine and can have problems urinating due to anaesthetic effects.

• Eu

October 26, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Recently, a surgeon, who does open tissue with mesh, told me that urologists sent their pts to him because it’s more difficult for them to do prostate surgeries after lap hernia repairs.

• Good intentions

October 26, 2021 at 12:08 pm

I found/realized that the various specialties are somewhat siloed from each other, over here in the States anyway. Urologists don’t know much about the effect of hernia repair on their patients, and hernia repair surgeons will not comment about urological issues. The reliance on pharmaceuticals seems common though. There are pills for every condition and there is high pressure to prescribe them.

When I saw a urologist (because my mesh implantation surgeon did not want to consider my problem, beyond getting irritated and saying “can’t you just take a pill?”) his only comment about hernia repair mesh was that it was difficult to cut through when they had to do prostate surgery.

So, in the end, for me, neither highly trained professional had any ideas about where my problem originated. Once the mesh was removed though, the problem disappeared.

This probably doesn’t make you feel better but it might save you some time. There are doctors out there who think more holistically. but they are hard to find.

• William Bryant

October 26, 2021 at 7:24 am

Thanks Pinto, I get (slight) urge to urinate before 2 hours is up…but I know its not urgent so can hold it for longer. 3 to 5 hours.

I did have 2 DRE’s, 1 dr said “slightly enlarged, but not more than I’d expect at your age”. The other Dr said “enlarged, do you want pills”. I declined saying if he is sending me for ultrasound, let’s see what that shows.

I think you’re right, having a hernia concentrates the mind on health (or lack of it) more.

I am wondering if the hernia could be pressing on bladder, hence the frequent urge.

It’s just getting me down a bit.

• pinto

October 26, 2021 at 6:59 am

William, I’m sure many people have or will have the same concern. My understanding is that the regular time between taking a leak is two hours. If much less than that, then it is worth checking out. You’re doing good in that regard. If I recall correctly, some docs think frequent urination can be a causation of hernia (but not in your case). My experience is that getting a hernia makes us watchful for things, maybe too much. You are not alone in having such concerns.