News Feed Discussions Question about multiple hernias

• Question about multiple hernias

Posted by Milo on June 16, 2018 at 5:19 pm

I have been searching for studies looking at the rates of patients who develop multiple hernias in their life. I’m not talking about recurrence, which is a separate issue.

​​​​​​Anyone know if this has been looked at?

Karen replied 5 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Karen

September 3, 2018 at 12:20 am

Hernias seem to run in my family. It took me 2 and half years of multiple drs to finally get a diagnosis. Just had surgery this week. I had lot of pre op pain for couple years and am having some post op pain. I assume its going to take a little bit for everything to calm down after this long ordeal. Hoping to be pain free at some point. Have you had post op pain issues?

• Momof4

September 2, 2018 at 9:28 pm

I know from personal experience that this happens to people with true collagen disorders. I am guessing most people with hernias have some collagen deficiency, thus the hernia. I have had recurrences, as well, but after a big surgery last year, I developed a new ventral/incisional hernia that got big fairly quickly. I have been told the more recurrences, the hernia becomes larger and more difficult to repair. [USER=”1435″]Karen[/USER] sorry to hear that you had 5 hernias. I have also had multiple hernias that were not all reported on radiology report, but seen when Dr. Towfigh read my scans. Hope you found the help you needed.

• Karen

September 2, 2018 at 1:39 am

Thats a good question. I just had repair of 5 only one appeared on tests.