News Feed Discussions Returning to sports after open IH surgery

• Returning to sports after open IH surgery

Posted by Dave Graham on August 1, 2018 at 6:30 pm

I am planning open IH surgery with mesh in the near future. One point I am really concerned about: I am pretty active (run or jog at least 30 minutes a day, do a lot of hiking, play some tennis etc.). All I want from the surgery is to be able to continue at the same level after I recover. Those who have had this procedure and are physically active: after recovery, could you do everything you did before? Thanks for any response-I’m really concerned about this point.

Dave Graham replied 5 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Dave Graham

August 3, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Thanks guys. I’ve been checking Runner’s World forums and others, the consensus of opinion seems to be pretty positive.

• Chaunce1234

August 2, 2018 at 3:34 am
    quote Dave Graham:

I am planning open IH surgery with mesh in the near future. One point I am really concerned about: I am pretty active (run or jog at least 30 minutes a day, do a lot of hiking, play some tennis etc.). All I want from the surgery is to be able to continue at the same level after I recover. Those who have had this procedure and are physically active: after recovery, could you do everything you did before? Thanks for any response-I’m really concerned about this point.

Is your hernia currently painful? How old are you?

You could always get a second opinion, and that’s often a good idea before any procedure. Regardless you will generally want to find someone who is a true hernia expert and who has significant experience in the procedure as they plan on performing it on you, as well as a good track record of success. Ask what their personal chronic pain rates are, and how they manage it. Ask what their personal recurrence rate is. [USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] makes a great point, the true outcomes can be hard to track over time and not all doctors do it, so it’s something to think about.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your case.

• Jnomesh

August 1, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Research and consider a non mesh repair.

• Good intentions

August 1, 2018 at 8:39 pm

There are many different types of open repair. Plugs, patches, two layer systems, and variations of each of them. “Mesh” is not enough to go on.

I post this advice often – ask your surgeon if they have verified that their method will work for you through communication with former patients. There is no reason that they should not know that, it just takes a letter, or an email, or a survey after a year or more of time has passed. The medical device makers do not have long-term data for their products, only very short time frame animal study results. Animals can not describe their pain.