News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Risk factors for reoperation following inguinal hernia repair: …

• Risk factors for reoperation following inguinal hernia repair: …

Posted by Good intentions on November 28, 2023 at 3:18 pm

Interesting new article in Hernia. Apparently, by the words, people who have bilateral repair are more likely to recur than those having unilateral. I’m pretty sure that one of the reasons often stated for bilateral repair is that the other side will herniate soon anyway. Bilateral is often also used as a reason for lap TEP.

The full paper might be worth reading. It’s not open access. It combines open, laparoscopic, and robotic. Still not clear how they can separate lap from robotic, since they enter from the same place and do the same things, the main difference being via electronic console control or hand. Probably a marketing requirement.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10029-023-02922-9

Risk factors for reoperation following inguinal hernia repair: results from a cohort of patients from an integrated healthcare system

Original Article

Published: 25 November 2023

(2023)

Hernia

Cheryl L. Park,

P. H. Chan,

H. A. Prentice,

K. Sucher,

E. R. Brill,

E. W. Paxton &

B. Laxa

“Results

The cumulative incidence of reoperation at 5-year follow-up was 2.4% (95% CI 2.3–2.5). Increasing age, female gender, increasing body mass index, White race, chronic pulmonary disease, diabetes, drug abuse, peripheral vascular disease, and bilateral procedures all associated with a higher risk for reoperation during follow-up.”

Can’t get the Preview to stay removed. I’ll try a “Remove” and a fast click. Also, almost lost all of the post because I forgot to choose a Forum ID. Luckily I had copied the bulk of it.

Good intentions replied 5 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.