News Feed Discussions Sports Hernia – Convo with dr. Shirin Towfigh

• Sports Hernia – Convo with dr. Shirin Towfigh

Posted by lynx7117 on May 28, 2016 at 1:43 am

I believe i may have a sports hernia. Hopefully not but all signs point towards it. Im having an mri soon and i have a very important soccer oppurtunity in denmark in 2 months. What should i do if it does turn out to be a sports hernia? Surgery?

Dr. Shirin Towfigh
    Full rest. PRP injections. Surgery is not a good idea unless there is a big tear.

⚽️
    Ok thank you!

⚽️
    Sorry to bother u but i feel like you know more than anyone. Is this surgery worthy or “mild athletic pubulgia” is ok? Im going to meet the dr soon but i want two opinions. Thank u!!

Mild. PRP should help. Maybe steroids if it’s painful.

my full diagnosis is:

Findings indicative of athletic pubalgia on the right with mild parasymphyseal stress reaction…

lynx7117 replied 7 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

June 29, 2016 at 5:29 am

Sports Hernia – Convo with dr. Shirin Towfigh

Hi there!
    How are you feeling and how is the groin pain from the core muscle injury?
    Some surgeons operate on more severe cases of injury in order to expedite care for professional athletes. Not sure if that’s the right idea.
    Let us know how you’re doing.

• lynx7117

May 29, 2016 at 2:14 pm

I will include the whole report:

There is a mild asymmetric edema at the junction of the inferior rectus abdominis-adductor aponeurosis on the right with associated stress reaction in the right pubic symphysis consistent with athletic pubalgia.

The remainder of the rectus abdominis shows normal signal without evidence for tear. No other abdominal wall abnormality or evidence of inguinal region hernia. The visualized intrapelvic structures show no abnormality.

Findings indicative of athletic pubalgia on the right with mild parasymphyseal stress reaction.

• lynx7117

May 29, 2016 at 1:46 pm

I play soccer so is there anyway to speed this up as in 5 weeks I have another showcase then a month later as I mentioned I need to go to Europe. Any strengthening exercises or injections?

As I understand usually people with sports hernias have much worse injuries. Tears in the abductors and groins etc…

For me (as I understand) my pain originates from the abdominals. I was stupid and did too much ab work. Weighted crunch machine is what destroyed me I believe. From that my groin started hurting. Nothing is torn however. The stress reaction is most likely from my abdominals pulling on my pelvis, yes?
    The week and a half I have been resting has been absoluetly awful.

So is there any way to speed it up. I have a sports doctor appointment on the 3rd of June.

Thank you for answering.

• pszotek

May 28, 2016 at 3:17 am

Lynx,
    Based on what you have related regarding your full diagnosis I would recommend exactly as Dr. Towfigh has for at least 6 weeks. I use exactly the same treatment protocol plus or minus the steroids which I often add if not making progress in a few weeks. Overall is seems that you are in the best of hands and following right along with what would be the standard recommendations. Hope that helps reassure you. Dr. Szotek