News Feed Discussions Strangulated Inguinal Hernia – Post Op Concerns

• Strangulated Inguinal Hernia – Post Op Concerns

Posted by paul on November 28, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Hi – 4 weeks ago I was rushed to hospital with a Strangulated Inguinal Hernia , I had the operation soon after arriving as it could not wait. The operation went smoothly but the surgeon did not use a mesh. I had 3 holes cut in the middle of my lower stomach the dead tissue was removed and the healthy part was re-joined and sewed up.

I felt really good after the operation but 2 weeks after the operation I felt a fairly big size lump near when the hernia was although it was not showing and felt deep under the skin.

I had read about the healing lumps that people get but this feels like a hernia although I am in no pain and show no symptoms of a hernia just slight discomfort in certain positions.

When I am standing up straight or sitting down no lump is visible , but when I lie flat on my back this lump is clearly showing in the groin area where my hernia was and is very hard almost bone like , sometimes feels like a hard marble. Doesn’t hurt when I press down on it either which I find strange.

As hernias normally disappear when lying down would I be right in thinking this is just part of the healing process or has my surgery caused another hernia ?

If anyone can offer any advice would be greatly appreciated

thankyou

• This discussion was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  paul.
    Wim replied 2 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Wim

December 5, 2021 at 3:04 am

“f you’re a man and your doctor finds that the hernia has extended into your scrotum, the diagnosis is usually an indirect hernia. A direct hernia doesn’t follow that path through the inguinal ring into the scrotum. That means a hernia that forms one side of the groin or the other is most likely a direct hernia.

An indirect hernia may also cause bowel obstruction if it slips into the inguinal ring and becomes swollen in the abdomen. This condition can worsen into a phase known as “strangulation,” which can affect blood flow in the intestines. A direct hernia is less likely to cause strangulation of the bowel.”

• William Bryant

December 5, 2021 at 2:26 am

I read somewhere Wim, that from being reduced ie lying down, one of them becomes full size almost straight away after standing. The other takes time to reach full size after standing.

But I cannot remember which was which and I cannot find the same article again.

• William Bryant

December 4, 2021 at 6:39 am

Apart from not moving or doing anything not sure how youd stop it. From my understanding innards slip through so assume try to stop hernia enlarging to keep gap small. I dont know why but indirect are more prone to incarceration.

• Wim

December 4, 2021 at 3:23 am

How did it get strangulated? There is really no information how hernia’s got strangulated in order to know how to minimalize this risk.

• drtowfigh

November 28, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Sounds like it’s a small hematoma. It should go away. Massaging it can help. This is something you should review with your surgeon.

• drtowfigh

November 28, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Sounds like it’s a small hematoma. It should go away. Massaging it can help. This is something you should review with your surgeon.

• Wim

December 4, 2021 at 8:09 am

Indirect : the hernia sack travels in a canal, while direct it pushes against the inguinal canal?

Still I don’t know mine i direct or indirect, even an ultrasonic exam was done