News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Surgeons in Finland

• Surgeons in Finland

Posted by Good intentions on December 21, 2023 at 1:11 pm

I tried to post a link with some comments but got an error message that said “

<strong style=”background-color: transparent; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: var(–bb-body-text-color);”>ERROR: Your discussion cannot be created at this time.“. But no mention of how to fix it. Very strange. I’ll try a simplified version and see what happens.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/21/kalvin-phillips-seeking-january-move-away-from-manchester-city

I tried to reply and add my comments but got another message, below. I’ll try some other things. Maybe an Update and a link to this discussion. Who knows…

My basic point was about the fact that Reece James and his club have delayed surgery while seeking out the very best surgeon for his hamstring problem. They ended up in Finland.

“ERROR
    : Your reply cannot be created at this time.”

Good intentions replied 4 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • William Bryant

December 22, 2023 at 2:36 pm

Hello Good Intentions, is there any connection to hernia surgery? Any good Finish hernia surgeons?

Most sports people go to Germany for hernia repairs. Although Glen Murray’s failed and he went to Prof. Lloyd in England.

• Good intentions

December 22, 2023 at 5:59 pm

I can’t tell. Not even sure who the surgeons are. I just thought it was interesting that these little pockets of greater ability seem to pop up, while the general ability of the surgeons in the field lags.

It reminds me that the meetings of the big societies like to have these “How I do it” sessions. Implying that each individual surgeon might have a different way to attempt the same task. Which is actually pretty scary for the patient. How does a patient know which method is best for their case? It’s really an absurd situation when you think about it, like a contest for the surgeons, with the patient as the playing field or stage.

Ideally, in my opinion, instead of surgeons demonstrating how they implant a piece of mesh or create a space during a lap procedure, instead they would demonstrate a flow-chart or decision-tree to use for helping the patient get the best result. If A exists then use method B. If C exists, use method D. An overall procedure that starts with the patient, not with the surgeon’s favorite implantation procedure.

I think that most surgeons just use their own favorite method over and over on all of their patients to “get the mesh in”.

Anyway, back to your point, you’d think that if they can learn enough to improve the average hamstring surgery that they might also be capable of improving other surgical methods. I’ll see if there’s more out there somewhere about Reece James. He plays for the England national team. Pretty important to make him healthy again, he’ll be in the news somewhere.