News Feed Discussions Surgery Inguinal Hernias

• Surgery Inguinal Hernias

Posted by Casey F on January 27, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Dear All, after considering my options and with escalating physical symptoms in my bilateral inguinal hernias. I have decided to have DaVinci surgery with Dr Daniel Vargo at the University of Utah Medical Center. I am from central Pennsylvania and we usually come Salt Lake City for part of the winter so when my symptoms worsened I choose to leave home and come to Salt Lake City ASAP as it has more choices then were available in our very rural Pennsylvania home area. I feel Dr Vargo is my best available choice and I have scheduled surgery for Tuesday. This hernia support group is a wealth of information and compassionate people and I appricipate everyone sharing their experiences and thoughts. I welcome all input on this topic. Thank you!

drtowfigh replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 2, 2019 at 5:53 pm

So glad to hear!

• Casey F

January 30, 2019 at 8:30 pm

Dr. Towfigh and good intentions, thank you for your responses and kind thoughts! I asked Dr Vargo what he planned and he was going to use the davinci robotic to sew the inguinals hernias closed and place a piece of parietene mesh over both sites. Surgery was yesterday morning and I will not see the surgery repot until my follow up on feb 14 for all the details. I appriciate the support on this forum! I just developed the hernias over the holidays due to bronchitis coughing so this is all new to me and I had a lot of decisions to make quickly. We come to salt lake in the winter so after i ‘researched dr vargo’ on The web and I came early SLC to have him preform whichever procedure he thought Best. Dr. Towfigh you are correct I went into the interview knowing i had geographically I picked an experienced surgeon and trusted his judgement, I’ve read so much about you and your successful outcomes, thank you for helping all of us by participating in the forum! Good Intentions thank you for the links, you are a wealth of information on this forum! Thank you!

• drtowfigh

January 30, 2019 at 4:00 am

As many have mentioned on this forum… pick a surgeon you trust not the technique. Dr Vargo is great.

• Good intentions

January 29, 2019 at 7:24 pm

[USER=”2784″]Casey F[/USER]

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER] [USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER]

Dr. Towfigh is also active in the robotic surgery arena. She might have some insights.

• Good intentions

January 29, 2019 at 7:21 pm

“Da Vinci” is not really a type of repair. It is a robotic tool used to assist in the repair. It can be used to implant mesh or remove mesh, maybe even to do a laparoscopic pure tissue repair. But it does not tell you anything about the type of repair the surgeon is planning.

Dr. Vargo seems familiar with mesh problems, as he has coauthored a paper that describes them. He publishes a lot, which can be good or bad. Some researchers work hard to try to make things work. Others work hard to understand what’s best.

There is not much detail on the site’s web page about their repair methods. You should ask him what he plans to do with his robotic tools. Today is Tuesday so you might already be done. Good luck.

https://healthcare.utah.edu/fad/mddetail.php?physicianID=u0235667

https://www.giejournal.org/article/S0016-5107(07)02043-3/abstract

https://www.davincisurgery.com/