News Feed Discussions The Risk/Benefit of Mesh Prophylaxis for Hernia Prevention – GSN interview

• The Risk/Benefit of Mesh Prophylaxis for Hernia Prevention – GSN interview

Posted by Good intentions on November 14, 2022 at 2:43 pm

Dr. Pauli seems to be making the rounds, exploring hernia repair and its various problems.

Here he interviews a plastic surgeon about why the guy uses mesh to prevent incisional hernias. No hernia present, but placing mesh anyway. I felt a little bit embarrassed for the guy, he did a poor job of explaining why he does it, lots of hemming and hawing, and ends the interview with “we need a lot more research”. But he’s doing it anyway. Without the research.

I’m not clear on if these types of interviews are just attempts to show that the community of surgeons is aware of and concerned about the problems, or if people like Dr. Pauli actually plan to suggest improvements. It might just be a smokescreen. So far, over the last many years, I have not identified any occurrences of change, except for Omega-3 fish oil coated Atrium mesh product being pulled from the market. Because of lawsuits. Otherwise, just lots of talk.

Worth watching just to see what goes on at the big meetings. The mesh market just keeps getting bigger.

https://www.generalsurgerynews.com/Video/Article/11-22/Hernia-Mesh-Prophylaxis/68558

Good intentions replied 1 year, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.