News Feed Discussions Vape vs smoking

• Vape vs smoking

Posted by Milo on March 26, 2018 at 4:29 pm

I have a question. Being that doctors advise patients to quit smoking before and after surgery, and that my doctor also said I would be 4 times more likely for hernia recurrence if I continue smoking in the long run, Im wondering if vaping causes the same problems.

I have been trying to understand the research on this subject, but there’s kind of a grey spot with the reaearch. I’m finding that most studies are using tobacco, and when nicotine is used, I’m not seeing dosage amounts, which are sometimes excessively high in clinical trials, and the time frame is usually a few weeks vs long term, which is what I’m more interested in.

Anyone have ideas?

Milo replied 6 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Milo

March 28, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Good point. I’ve already quit a couple months ago though, so I will be fine. I don’t know if I will smoke again after recovering from surgery, but I’m leaning towards no. I think nicotine is probably safer than cigarettes, but it’s not a well researched topic imo.

• miner

March 28, 2018 at 5:03 pm

If you quit smoking theres a decent chance youll gain wait depending on your level of activity right now. Thats probably just as bad as smoking in terms of a hernia reoccurring.

• Milo

March 27, 2018 at 5:34 am

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear with my first post. I was referring to some animal studies that use unrealistic dosage ranges that a human would never use. I don’t have access to the full research papers, so I can only guess what they’re doing.

Anyway, the conclusion I’m coming to is that there’s not enough research yet.

Both nicotine and tobacco seem to have downsides, but I’m still not sure how nicotine differs from tobacco.

I can’t really tell if I’m in the wrong place for discussing this…so I’ll let it go unless someone is interested.

• Good intentions

March 26, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Working from the principle of why people take addictive drugs it’s reasonable to assume, I think, that people will generally vape or smoke until the nicotine level in their blood reaches the desired amount. So dosage level would be self-determined, regardless of mode. Nicotine level might even be higher with vaping because the ill effects of the other smoke toxins are not there. I don’t think that you can rationalize that vaping is better for healing than smoking, based on nicotine dosage. You could argue that vaping is more healthy than smoking. But, regarding healing, the vein constriction aspect of nicotine will still be there.

I’ve always thought that vaping is one of the oddest developments of modern technology that I’ve ever seen. Building an electrical device to vaporize potentially toxic oils so that a person can suck them deeper in to their lungs. It’s bizarre. No offense. Although, rolling a shrub in to a paper tube so that you can do the same with smoke is also bizarre. I grew up around that though so it seems normal.

Good luck with your decision. Seems like you’re deciding how much risk your smoking habit is worth though. Taking a chance on a hernia recurrence so that you can keep taking nicotine. Not as bad as smoking with an oxygen tank, but still…