3 months post Op pain

Hernia Discussion Forums Hernia Discussion 3 months post Op pain

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dan
      Participant

Had an operation for direct inguinal hernia was very painful recovery. about 7 weeks in I started to cycle 5km turned into 20km after 3 weeks. Was getting very sore and stopped its been 3 weeks since I last cycled and I had an ultrasound to check if i had done any damage and it all looks fine but I’m still in pain in the abs just above hernia and I still a testicle ache.Some days worse than others. Am i stuck with chronic pain now Do i keep waitinf before jumping on a bike and starting slowly again. I’m at a loss? Do i have nerve damage? Is this common? Any help from you guys would help. Thanks

Good intentions
      Participant

What type of procedure, open or laparoscopic, and was mesh used?

There is a very large selection of materials and methods. If you don’t know what was done to you get a copy of your surgery notes from your surgeon or the facility where the work was done.

dan
      Participant

open surgery and mesh was used. The surgeon said there was no evidence that keyhole was an easier recovery. Im a little suspicious about that and also he just felt it and it was a little tear and he didnt get me to do an ultrasound. He said it wasn’t necessary. I Just feel like something was not right about the whole thing.

Good intentions
      Participant

Sorry Dan, but you have followed the path that many have.

Unfortunately, the people that have the power to collect data that would show which methods and materials work best and which should be avoided are the same people who benefit the most by not allowing that information to be collected. The medical device makers.

You should get your medical records. There is a very large number of different types and forms of mesh. Even the biologic materials are called mesh even though they barely resemble the synthetic mesh materials. Basically anything with holes in it that will allow tissue ingrowth is called mesh. And many surgeons are involved in developing these new materials and will try them on their patients, even though full long-term trials have not been completed. They just “believe”.

Get your records so that you and any surgeons that you talk to will know what they are dealing with.

Your best option might be to find a surgeon who will remove the mesh, if necessary. Most surgeons are only trained in mesh implantation and told that pain problems are not caused by mesh. Surgeons that remove mesh will recognize if your symptoms are from the mesh or from some other problem. Dr. Brown, for example, has a protocol for exploring specific nerves, along with nerves close to the mesh. @drbrown

Good intentions
      Participant

Dan, here is a post I just did about a paper looking at open hernia repair with mesh. I don’t want to depress you, just let you know that people are aware of the potential problems. You just have more work ahead of you than you had hoped when you got your hernia “repaired”. Good luck.

16% pain across the board – open mesh hernia repair 2020 paper

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New Report

Close

Skip to toolbar