News Feed Discussions Alcohol and collagen

• Alcohol and collagen

Posted by ajm222 on August 14, 2022 at 11:34 am

Anyone think drinking regularly (like having a couple of drinks on weekend nights) can have a detrimental enough effect on tissue to cause hernia related issues? Google of course tells me alcohol use can deplete vitamins and such and weaken tissue. But not sure to what extent this should be a consideration for those of us with hernia issues. I’d give up droning forever if I though it’d make an appreciable difference.

Dakota replied 11 months ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Dakota

May 26, 2023 at 2:06 am

I’ve just stumbled upon this thread from a year ago and thought I’d jump in. If you were worried about the potential effects of regular drinking on tissue and hernia-related issues, I hope you’ve found some answers since then.
    While alcohol can deplete vitamins and weaken tissue, it’s essential to remember that everyone’s body reacts differently. If you’re still concerned, it’s always a good idea to consult with a medical professional who can provide personalized advice based on your specific situation.
    By the way, if you’re looking for more information on the effects of alcohol on tissue and vitamins, you might find this resource from fherehab.com helpful. Remember, it’s crucial to prioritize your health and well-being.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Dakota.
  • Mike M

August 15, 2022 at 8:21 pm

Dr. Kang and the repair are rock solid for no mesh open tissue repair. Would definitely recommend!

• William Bryant

August 15, 2022 at 10:59 am

Thanks Mike. I think I’ll cut down on drink and I’ll try to ear better.

Great news about repair. I’m thinking you would definitely recommend Dr. Kang?

• Mike M

August 15, 2022 at 8:13 am

@William Bryant

Repair is perfect! Waiting on the 6 month mark before I start lifting heavy weights again (self imposed restriction). All of the generalized symptoms of “open tissue repair, no mesh” have faded significantly and continue to fade. It is getting to the point on some occasions I am now forgetting I even had surgery which I think is the goal.

Here is a great generalized article on Collagen and sleep.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/collagen/

From what I have researched no more than 1-2 drinks per day and 6 hours of sleep minimum.

Dr. Eric Berg has some interesting information regarding this issue on Youtube.

Collagen supplements have also been suggested to improve sleep but I would take it with a grain of salt.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1111/j.1479-8425.2006.00193.x

Regarding lack of sleep relating to “skin” but still relevant imho.

There are countless research articles that indicate lack of sleep is detrimental to collagen production.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030698771000246X?via%3Dihub

• William Bryant

August 15, 2022 at 1:25 am

I dont sleep well!
    I have a half or two of lager at weekends usually.

I’m very stressed!

I may have to rethink a few things!
    Thanks Mike.

Is the repair still good? Btw

• Mike M

August 15, 2022 at 12:00 am

Top three common things that can hurt tissues and reduce collagen production / repair.

#1. Sleep deprivation (redirects proteins used in collagen production to other functions to keep you “awake”)

#2. Alcohol (more than 2 drinks per day, also 14 drinks per week is considered *heavy drinking*) in men. Also if the alcohol is interfering with your sleep it probably isn’t doing you any favors.

#3. High carb / High Sugars / Bad diet (fish is good)

4th might be stress although I have not seen any research / studies on that specifically as it relates directly to collagen production / repair.

A drink or two on the weekend every once in awhile is probably going to have zero impact as long as you hydrate and get enough sleep.

Think of any habit, food, drink, etc that is going to prematurely “age” your body, cause wrinkles, etc you want to avoid.

• William Bryant

August 14, 2022 at 9:37 pm

Oh it’s fine Good Intentions, it’s one less thing to feel guilty about. I went to bed thinking I’d have to give up alcohol and blaming myself, again, so I’m glad it was so small a sample in a way.

Apart from anything else it was really badly written or translated too.

At least one surgeon has suggested a drink before operation, I think to calm and also to aid healing. I forget precisely how now. But remember them saying it.

• Good intentions

August 14, 2022 at 7:09 pm

No offense intended William Bryant. It’s easy to get misled.

• Good intentions

August 14, 2022 at 7:05 pm

They also combined alcohol and tobacco in to one group. Tobacco usage is well known to cause problems with healing. And they could easily have shown each patient’s individual data. 15 tissue samples is easily manageable. No need to combine them. One outlier could easily skew the results of the other four. It’s just a bad paper.

It looks like a study done to prove an “idea”, a guess, rather than to learn a truth. There is a lot of that out there.

• Good intentions

August 14, 2022 at 6:55 pm

Fifteen patients in that study. That’s a terrible attempt at a scientific study. It’s worthless. There is a lot of bad science in the field of medicine. You have to be careful about what you read and dig deep in to the why and the how of the publications.

• ajm222

August 14, 2022 at 5:50 pm

Very interesting, thanks. I didn’t see anywhere that they discussed how
    much participants drank, and they seemed to suggest much more study was needed, but I do think this was consistent with some other stuff I read (though this is more scientific).

• William Bryant

August 14, 2022 at 2:03 pm
  • William Bryant

August 14, 2022 at 1:59 pm

Well well you may be on to something…..

“Tobacco and alcohol, together with diabetes mellitus, cause a re-modeling in the cremaster muscle, leading to a loss of support or structural alteration in this region, being able to intensify the occurrences and damages related to the inguinal hernias.”

I’ll get link to study