News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Anybody who had Shouldice a while ago – do you have any pain/strange sensations?

• Anybody who had Shouldice a while ago – do you have any pain/strange sensations?

Posted by Steve on January 6, 2024 at 9:55 am

It’s been almost 8 weeks since I had the Shouldice repair for my inguinal hernia (one sided). Repair was done by a local surgeon, who is very experienced and renowned, but performs Shouldice only once in a while (I asked the surgeon specifically to do it for me instead of mesh surgery).

I had a fast and luckily uneventful recovery, but from time to time I still experience some strange sensations in the groin area. Like out of nowhere there is this pain as if I was stuck with a needle. Or for some time it feels like something is pushing something inside. And from time to time there is even a pulling, or pulsating sensation down there.

I know that full recovery will take moths to come, but I’m afraid what I feel down there is the permanent prolene suture that was used for the surgery and that this pain won’t subside with time.

Those of you who had Shouldice or a similar kind of surgery (Kang, Desarda) what are your experiences? Did the occasional pain and strange sensations go away with time? (maybe after a year or so)

Also, I have a dull (not too disturbing) pain in my testicle on the side of the surgery. Interestingly before my inguinal hernia came out I used to have this strange (albeit less intensive) sensation in my testicle, which went away when the hernia appeared. Now after the surgery it’s back again, and I was told that the space down there anatomically can be tight and it may be pushing my spermatic cord. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Oceanic replied 3 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Oceanic

January 30, 2024 at 9:36 am

You are so soon after surgery, you’ll likely still not feel normal again in that area for 6 months or longer so just be patient, there are many changes going on inside that take a long time to fully heal

• Steve

January 29, 2024 at 10:59 am

@MarkT thanks for the confirmation, your words really put me at ease, now knowing that these sensations will likely disappear.

@Good intentions I was operated on by a local doctor here in Eastern-Europe, he is a really experienced surgeon but he doesn’t specialize in hernias. And even if he did, I don’t recommend anyone to come here for an operation. We have really good doctors and schools (many people come here to learn medicine from all over the world), but since basic healthcare is for free our hospitals are very run-down. You can go to private hospitals, but there they don’t have the same quality of doctors and equipment. It’s not easy…

• MarkT

January 6, 2024 at 3:30 pm

I’ve had left and right side inguinal repairs at Shouldice Hospital, both a long time ago (one side was a little over 30yrs ago, the other about 20yrs ago). No post-op complications, no chronic pain or any ‘odd sensations’ since then, and no restrictions on any activity (sports, weights, yoga, swimming, etc.)

It’s been a long time, so details are fuzzy, but I do remember getting occasional ‘twinges’ of pain as I healed…a brief, sharp pain, sometimes if I moved or turned too quickly and forgot I wasn’t ‘100%’ yet, for example. To be clear, it was occasional, momentary, and not terrible pain…and it completely went away over the short-term. I just can’t remember the timeline, sorry…but it was a matter of weeks or maybe a few months…certainly not ‘long-term’ or chronic, and clearly just part of the healing process.

• Good intentions

January 6, 2024 at 11:23 am

Renowned means well-known. Might as well tell us who it was. Did they do the full official Shouldice Hospital procedure? Or one of the modified versions. Might be relevant.

Eight weeks is not very long since surgery.