News Feed Discussions Best surgeons for mesh removal?

• Best surgeons for mesh removal?

Ben999 replied 3 years ago 17 Members · 52 Replies
  • Unknown Member

Deleted User
    August 18, 2020 at 12:17 pm

Agree with Droppain, these prominent hernia surgeons have an obligation to explain fully ALL of the ramifications of nerve cutting (neurectomies) instead of being cryptic and obtuse about it. They’ve done enough to know all the side effects and to not fully disclose in order to steer unsuspecting patient into surgery is a disservice and ethically questionable.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    August 11, 2020 at 9:06 am

I fully understand that. But I think that he has an obligation to explain fully ALL of the ramifications of cutting the nerves, I am not a doctor and I shouldn’t be expected to research what each nerve does and what muscles are innervated, he cut the GFN nerve and now my testicle hangs by a thread because he destroyed the cremasteric reflex and the Dartos muscles which control the scrotum.if I knew that was going to happen I would have at least pondered the surgery more closely, plus his post op treatment sucked, once he got bored he Discharged me to figure it out on my own. Don’t defend him to me please

• mitchtom6

August 11, 2020 at 7:57 am

I had a consultation with Dr Belyanski about a year ago. I asked him about cutting nerves. He does not cut nerves by default, but will do it if there is a mesh entanglement issue.

Honestly, I don’t know how else you could do the surgery. If nerves are wrapped up in the mesh, certainly you would have to do something to resolve that issue. The alternative would be to just leave it like that, which sounds like a continuation of pain and discomfort for the patient.

Regrettably, this can create other issues, it sounds like.

Wishing you all a full recovery.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    August 4, 2020 at 4:23 am

I’m not going to bash Belyansky in a public forum. I’m happy to tell people privately how he injured me. He does cut nerves.

• Alephy

August 3, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Btw are nerves also cut during an open mesh repair?🤔

• Alephy

August 3, 2020 at 10:20 pm

I wonder why Dr. Muschaweck would do that….I know the position of the nerves can change a lot depending on the individual🤔 also if I understand correctly it also depends on how much/where the nerves are cut; or is it just one nerve? If Shouldice involves major nerves cutting then for me it is off the table period!

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    August 3, 2020 at 4:30 pm

If you watch Muschaweck’s conf videos on YouTube she states she cuts nerves up to 30% of cases with her minimal repair; Neurolysis and neurectomy of the gfn or iln. That is for an original repair, with revision (mesh complication) it’s probably 90% or higher. IONR is a fancy marketing way of saying neurectomy.

I consulted belansky after all the hype about him in fb groups. When I asked him about the loss of cremasteric reflex with the neurectomy of gfn, he was surprised how I knew so much and asked me if I was a “nurse” (slightly condescending) Once he realized I wouldn’t consent to a surgery with neurectomy he told I should go see the “guy in Vegas” or to UCLA; home of triple neurectomy.

Speak to many patients who’s gone through with mesh removal and neurectomy then determine whether benefit outweighs the risk of functional deficit.

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    August 3, 2020 at 2:44 pm

Sorry I don’t know. In my case the genitofemoral nerve was cut to allegedly get the mesh out. It caused all kinds of testicular problems which I still haven’t rectified.

• Alexander

August 3, 2020 at 1:55 pm

Doesn’t the Shouldice clinic normally “take” the ilioinguinal nerve prophylactically in their surgery?

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    August 3, 2020 at 11:21 am

Yes I had it done. I’ve never been the same.

• Alephy

August 3, 2020 at 11:18 am

Do some doctors still cut nerves as a prophylactic measure? I find this thought very disturbing….

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    August 3, 2020 at 11:10 am

I actually had testicular involvement with loss of cremasteric function. Very uncomfortable and intrusive. In pain constantly. I had no idea this would happen.

• Momof4

August 3, 2020 at 11:04 am

Yes, I agree with the comment about cutting nerves. I had a Lap triple neurectomy and asked specifically if there were any side effects in addition to the numbness and was told none. Doctors and patients alike now know that is not the case. There is some motor component to those nerves, especially when the neurectomy is performed laparoscopically. It has caused significant laxity and bulging in that area!

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    August 3, 2020 at 8:13 am

Just to correct the comment about Dr Belyansky. He does cut nerves. He cut mine and left me pretty impaired. I didn’t ask all of the right questions but he didn’t provide all of the right info. Don’t make the same mistake I did.

• zacharia

July 24, 2020 at 7:33 am

I know Dr. William Brown in California, he is good. I always recommend him to my friends.

• ajm222

July 23, 2020 at 7:09 am

Hey Mitch – is your pain and discomfort mostly gone, or are you just able to deal with it better now?

• mitchtom6

July 22, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Actually, as I re-read about olympic hurdler Dai Greene, his case seems to have an additional similarity- he, reportedly, had a recurrent hernia after an initial mesh repair. I would consider that a pretty powerful testimonial. In any case, we are rooting for you. Wishing you a full recovery, and a return to normalcy. In the meantime, consider getting an antidepressant to help get the mental component under control. You are in a very distressing scenario that very few people can fully relate to. After holding out for far too long, I reached the end of my rope and starting taking Cymbalta, which has helped tremendously. That, coupled with the passage of time and a cortisone injection, has made my situation much better. I still have the mesh in me, but it has become manageable.

• mitchtom6

July 22, 2020 at 12:41 pm

If you are in Germany, that would lend itself to Muschawek, I would think. At a minimum, get a consultation and ask about the IONR technique.

She removed mesh from Dai Greene, an olympic hurdler, who was able to go back to a competitive level after being sidelined for 5 years from mesh complications.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But she seems as well-qualified as anyone in the field.

• Lucas S

July 20, 2020 at 8:20 pm

Thanks a lot for all these Replies.

I’m pretty sure I don’t go the laparoscopic way. I will collect my results and write a short precise E-mail to some of these surgeons.
    My only Problem with Muschawek is that they maybe still could use a mesh. They decide most of the time the technique during the surgery. If the Hernia is too big they maybe use a mesh again. I’m pretty sure the pain comes from the mesh (ProGrip Self-Gripping Mesh btw.) but of course I will have it checked.

The reviews about Dr. Conce and Muschawek where overly positive on a website called Jameda. But I don’t trust this rating portal my last surgeon had very positive reviews too on Jameda and when I read the reviews I relied on last time I feel scammed. It is such a heavy decision to find the right surgeon it really gives me anxiety/paranoia. I will look out for a Facebook group for more experience.

Thank you all for answering Questions and Helping in this Forum, not all heroes wear capes.

• Alephy

July 19, 2020 at 10:15 am

I would consider a visit with Dr. Muschaweck considering you are in Germany and perhaps it is paid by the public health system or your insurance?

As for the mesh vs non mesh, I have read many posts in different fora, and I am still to come across a post of a person who had a mesh problem that was solved with yet more/another mesh (I may be wrong of course, I am no doctor)…

Page 2 of 3