News Feed Discussions Can an airport scanner detect a hernia ?

• Can an airport scanner detect a hernia ?

Posted by CursedGroin on October 31, 2023 at 6:02 pm

Hello everyone.

Want to share with you something funny that happens to me by walking through the security gates in JFK airport. After going through the security portal, I have been stopped by a TSA agent who asked me if I had pain on the groin. Then he showed the scanner image and we could see that there were a red square in the area where my small hernia reoccurred. It was quite surprizing. Then I told him that i had surgery but I’m still in slight discomfort after it. Afterwards, he checks me, touch main the groin area and told me it was OK and good luck for my health. It was quite a WTF situation

Does anyone can relate ? Can hernia be identified on airport scans ?

William Bryant replied 6 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • William Bryant

November 2, 2023 at 12:49 am

I saw the hernia photo and did wonder if the genitals, or where you’d expect to see the genitals, was part of the hernia or poorly blanking/hiding/blurring of them for the photo to preserve dignity.

If part of the hernia yes huge. Or was it two hernias?

I’m sure I’ve read size doesn’t equate to symptoms necessarily..it’s possible to have a small hernia and troubling symptoms and conversely a large hernia without.

• Good intentions

November 1, 2023 at 11:24 am

Did you guys see the picture in the publication, of the hernia? The hernia that the guy was “comfortable” with for five years was huge. You can see how the person running the scanner might have questions. It’s interesting how different cultures have different values. I can’t imagine anybody I know living with a hernia that large.

I don’t know that the relatively small hernias discussed on this forum would show up on an airport scanner.

• William Bryant

November 1, 2023 at 12:04 am

This could be an increasing problem.
    And what if it happened on way to another country for surgery?

• CursedGroin

October 31, 2023 at 6:44 pm
  • CursedGroin

October 31, 2023 at 6:20 pm

No I don’t think so. The red square was appearing on a kind of yellow avarar to show that something has been detected on the groin area of my body. I think it could be inflammation or bulge detection. It is unlikeky that it was for the mesh because I have it on both sides and the red square was located only at the left

• Raymond

October 31, 2023 at 6:10 pm

Red square? was it a mesh square implanted from a hernia surgery?