News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Dr Towfigh or others? Testicle loss

• Dr Towfigh or others? Testicle loss

Posted by Pauline on December 27, 2023 at 3:49 pm

Asking for a friend – what is the risk of testicle loss if a hernia recurs after lap mesh removal and a tissue repair is done on the outside? Dr Towfigh or others do you know. Dr. Sabayi says the risk is significant approaching 25 percent and testicular atropy is a very good possibility.

Oceanic replied 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • drtowfigh

December 28, 2023 at 8:58 am

The more inguinal surgery is done through one wound, especially open, the greater the risk of reduced blood flow to the testicle.

That number varies based on the amount of tissue trauma incurred by the procedure, thereby affecting the blood vessels.

I perform a lot of revisional inguinal surgery. My personal rate of testicle loss is less than 1%. In my 20 year career I’ve had only 2 patients who required orchiectomy. I don’t know where Dr Sbayi got his 25% number. It sounds very high. But perhaps that’s his experience.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  drtowfigh.
  • Pauline

December 27, 2023 at 6:30 pm

Thx for the correction. He spoke direct to Sbayi. I will ask him to join the forum. Hoping Dr Towfigh will respond.

• Good intentions

December 27, 2023 at 4:02 pm

You probably meant Dr. Sbayi, not Sabayi. Did you actually talk to him or did you see his comment somewhere on the internet? A link would help a lot. Maybe you misunderstood the comment, it doesn’t really fit.

Ken had a friend from Mexico in a similar situation, seeking mesh removal. Ken seems to have disappeared from the forum though. Is there any reason that your friend couldn’t join the forum? Ken’s friend apparently did not speak English well. The “friend” questions are more likely to be not-quite-right.

Dr. Sbayi has been on Dr. Towfigh’s HerniaTalk Live YouTube channel. Good luck.

https://www.stonybrookmedicine.edu/patientcare/surgery/blog/hernia-talk-live

• Oceanic

January 2, 2024 at 4:01 am

Good spot, Chucks in drag now posting more utter nonsense about 25% testicle rate loss, will it ever end?