News Feed Discussions Exercise?

• Exercise?

Posted by Linz on September 18, 2022 at 11:33 am

I’ve read and heard that jumping and squats are not recommended when you have a hernia. Are body weight squats ok to do? I’ve found I can only walk and ride a bike. I tried running for a bit and that seemed to bother my hernia so I stopped. I’m just trying to find other options for working out, but it feels really limited.

pinto replied 1 year, 6 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • pinto

September 20, 2022 at 5:00 am

I enjoy, well almost, running (actually jogging). So I was keen on what docs say about it and not one I have asked or read have recommended against it. I’ve concluded that the range of affliction is so so vast among patients that it’s hard to say. Mine was a medium sized IH and never gave me pain after a jog. I usually wore a truss for support though I can’t say it was necessary.

• Good intentions

September 19, 2022 at 11:45 am

Avoid creating abdominal pressure. Don’t hold your breath when you exert yourself. You can also hold your hand over the hernia to see if what you’re doing is causing it to project. A truss might be helpful also.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/inguinal-hernia/expert-answers/hernia-truss/faq-20058111

• William Bryant

September 19, 2022 at 5:45 am

Walking, biking and swimming are usually the ones you see recommended.

I’m no keep fitter but I think squats of any kind are not good.

Sorry!