News Feed Discussions How long does a hernia repair last?

• How long does a hernia repair last?

Posted by localCivilian on May 12, 2019 at 3:40 am

I’ve always wondered how long exactly a hernia repair lasts. Wether mesh or non-mesh or wether laparoscopic or open. Since hernia repairs have been awhile for a few centuries, do hernia repairs usually last close to a lifetime or are they eventually destined to fail?

For everyone in this forum, what’s the longest lasting hernia repair you have heard of?

As far as online, I have seen a few posts about how there’s is still holding up twenty plus years later. My father, who is 63 right now, actually had a hernia repair when he was in the fifth grade and I assume it’s still holding up. I asked him before I went into surgery for mine and he didn’t say anything about having to get it redone, who knows.

ajm222 replied 4 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • ajm222

May 20, 2019 at 8:36 pm
    quote mitchtom6:

My cousin’s repair was mesh. In fact, I believe he said they did a double layered mesh repair. It was done in Richmond VA about 5 years ago. It freaks me out to see him workout like nothing ever happened. Using the Ab Wheel with full extension, etc. Stressing the area to the max. Appears to have had no complications.

would be interesting to know his surgeon. that’s where I had mine done.

• drtowfigh

May 20, 2019 at 7:32 pm

Laparoscopic has the lowest recovery time and least chronic pain so we tend to provide athletes with laparoscopic repair with mesh.

• Good intentions

May 18, 2019 at 6:51 pm
    quote mitchtom6:

My cousin’s repair was mesh. In fact, I believe he said they did a double layered mesh repair. It was done in Richmond VA about 5 years ago. It freaks me out to see him workout like nothing ever happened. Using the Ab Wheel with full extension, etc. Stressing the area to the max. Appears to have had no complications.

Double-layered typically means the Prolene Hernia System (PHS). But it might mean something else.

Things often get conflated, or mixed up, when talking about “mesh” repairs, Recurrence, versus pain, versus side effects. When I had my bilateral Bard Soft Mesh inside, I could work out just fine. Covering your whole lower abdominal wall with mesh really does make it stronger. I told my surgeon that if I was a farm animal, like a mule or an ox, both gelded, the repair probably would be great. The hernia is gone and extreme physical work is possible. I could go back to the gym and lift heavy weights with no problems. But I could not run or bike or play soccer.

But if you’re a human, who needs to be pain-free, and able to think clearly, and likes their sex organs to work correctly, then there might be a cost.

Thanks for replying but what happens in the gym is just a small part of the situation. I hope he’s one of the lucky ones. You might have to work to get the real details about side effects, for your cousin. Because they’re not good, and not anything a typical man will want people to know. Is he doing everything that he wants to do, or does he avoid certain things. Is everything working correctly.

Anyone considering a repair should get as many details as possible.

Again, sorry to keep jumping in on what seems like good news. There’s always some detail missing though. If he did get the PHS and he is 100% where he wants to be then I can add him to my Good Mesh Stories Topic. Maybe the PHS is a winner for athletes.

• mitchtom6

May 18, 2019 at 6:27 pm

• Good intentions

May 18, 2019 at 6:20 pm

[USER=”935″]drtowfigh[/USER]

The @ symbol didn’t take on my reply, above.

• Good intentions

May 18, 2019 at 6:19 pm
    quote drtowfigh:

Most professional athletes have mesh based repairs of their inguinal hernias.

Hello Dr. Towfigh. That is a fascinating answer, you must know more. Which type of “mesh” repair? There are so many. Lichtenstein, TEP with lightweight mesh, TAPP with gold standard mesh. Polypropylene, polyester, or PTFE? I harp on this often, but is all “mesh” really the same? Or is there really so much variation between individual humans that all of these choices are necessary?

A person would think that athletes would have a much smaller variation between individuals, especially in body fat and activity levels, so there should be a smaller set of materials and methods that have successful outcomes. They should all be very healthy people who heal properly.

Can you offer some insight, for athletic people like myself? If I had found information like you’re suggesting exists, with details, I might have been able to avoid my problems.

I hope I don’t seem to be trolling. Your answer doesn’t fit my understanding at all though. It kind of “blew my mind” when I saw it. Dai Greene got the one-size-fits-all standard treatment and it almost ruined his career. We need this kind of real-world insight. Without sharing the knowledge we are all still gambling unless we can make it to California to see you.

I don’t want to be spreading false information, but the things that I write are all that I know at this time. Thank you.

@drtowfigh

• drtowfigh

May 18, 2019 at 4:34 pm

Most professional athletes have mesh based repairs of their inguinal hernias.

• dog

May 15, 2019 at 6:55 pm
    quote Good intentions:

10 years, and then what? Interesting that a surgeon would offer that information. We can all probably learn a lot from the field of athletics. I wish we could hear more about how they solve their problems.

And after that in Pain for life ..or possibly even long before that term…

• Good intentions

May 13, 2019 at 7:08 pm
    quote mitchtom6:

Fascinating question. My NCAA athlete cousin had an inguinal repair, and if I recall correctly, his doctor told him he could expect it to last 10 years.

10 years, and then what? Interesting that a surgeon would offer that information. We can all probably learn a lot from the field of athletics. I wish we could hear more about how they solve their problems.

• Good intentions

May 13, 2019 at 6:51 pm

[USER=”2856″]mitchtom6[/USER] could you get more details about your cousin’s surgery? Many athletes or their trainers and managers seem to know to avoid mesh repairs. There are people on this forum who have described having their athletic careers ruined by mesh repairs. And there are professionals who have had their mesh removed within just a few years, in order to continue their careers.

Professional athletics seems very secretive though about injuries. I assume that they don’t want to seem like damaged goods.

Your cousin’s story would be very interesting to hear. Type of hernia, how it manifested, and the repair method and material. Even where he had it repaired if he would share that.

Good luck with your own situation.

It’s a horribly fascinating topic – https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/25/hernia-mesh-implants-cost-top-british-athlete-five-years-career-dai-greene

• mitchtom6

May 13, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Fascinating question. My NCAA athlete cousin had an inguinal repair, and if I recall correctly, his doctor told him he could expect it to last 10 years. This discussion reveals, as Dr. Towfigh noted, how we just don’t have the data, which is shocking and alarming considering how common this surgery is.

• localCivilian

May 12, 2019 at 7:43 pm

[USER=”2608″]dog[/USER][USER=”2029″]Good intentions[/USER] Very good point. I think Good Intentions once said on here recently that it’s not like a broken bone repair, it’s something that’s with you forever, which is true.

• dog

May 12, 2019 at 7:23 pm

The only problem is if you get in the category of minorities ….from that time you will be up the creek without paddle. So the right question is

How can i find the surgeon that will make one time repair and result would last for life! ..Or do you believe everyone will do similar..Think again
    Does it matter how far do travel..no ..Does it matter what method is the best.no .The only think what is matter your choice of the surgeon.

f you interested in my story please read this. https://www.meshmedicaldevicenewsdes…ing-in-hawaii/

• drtowfigh

May 12, 2019 at 6:31 pm

The majority of hernias last a lifetime. Depending on the type, size, repair type, and risk factors associated with the hernia, recurrence rates can range from 0.5% at 5 years to 60%. We don’t have great data to report accurate numbers any longer than that, with few exceptions, but the majority do last a lifetime.