News Feed Discussions MRI Intensity

• MRI Intensity

Posted by Frankfitz on February 1, 2018 at 11:20 pm

How intense are these for someone suffering from chronic pelvic pain:
    MRI anterior pelvis, no contrast, with Valsalva, and with images in all three planes

drtowfigh replied 6 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • drtowfigh

February 18, 2018 at 3:22 am

The valsalva (beardown) portion of the MRI may be uncomfortable for patients with hernias. No damage is done. Contrast is not necessary. All are done lying down, unless you are in a standing MRI, which by definition you are standing.

• Frankfitz

February 7, 2018 at 1:17 pm

My wife was scheduled yesterday to get a standard pelvic 3T Neurography MRI as well as a “MRI anterior pelvis, no contrast, with Valsalva, and with images in all three planes.” She could not make it through to the second one, too much pain. For some reason, they were doing contrast on this second one as well. Does anyone know how long this second one lasts? I am assuming contrast is really not needed and they are always done lying down. Thanks

• Frankfitz

February 6, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Are all of these MRIs always laying down?

• FrankNeedsHelp

February 4, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Thank you Momof4! We have four as well 🙂

• Momof4

February 4, 2018 at 11:28 am

I have had one of these MRIs while in severe groin pain. Getting all three planes may make it a little longer. Also, I remember the valsalva being painful when you are already in pain in that area. You only need to bear down for very short periods and there is a break in between. Usually the person administering the test is very good at making sure you are ok and giving very specific and encouraging instructions. This test will give the doctor a lot of good information, so I hope she can handle it for a short while. Maybe if there is any medication that helps with her pain, she can take it prior to the test. Best of luck getting through the test and hope it leads to a correct diagnosis.

• FrankNeedsHelp

February 2, 2018 at 8:05 pm

This is not your typical MRI. Thanks tho.

• Good intentions

February 2, 2018 at 8:02 pm

The MRI itself doesn’t cause any pain. It’s just radio waves passing through the body. Laying in the machine without moving is kind of tedious. I’ve had a typical lay down in the tube MRI. It takes some time to get a complete set of images, so patience and being prepared to do nothing for a while are what she should be prepared for. There are different types of MRI machines, of course, so it might be worthwhile to look in to that. Most hospitals or facilities have a guide that will explain what to be prepared for. You might check their web site.

• FrankNeedsHelp

February 2, 2018 at 1:39 am

Yes, pain. My wife has one of these next week. Immediately after a pelvic 3T Neurography MRI. I can bearly get her out of the house some days so I am not looking forward to this. Eight years of chronic and debilitating pelvic pain.

• LeviProcter

February 2, 2018 at 1:19 am

Intense in what way? Pain?