News Feed Discussions No mesh hernia surgeon in Australia!

• No mesh hernia surgeon in Australia!

Posted by Monika on February 20, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Can someone please recommend an Australian hernia surgeon that is really good and dose no Mensheviks hernia repair ? I am based in Sydney , would be happy to travel. Seams like I can’t find anyone. The only surgeon I found is Dr Gandy , but I don’t have much info about him.

William Bryant replied 2 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • William Bryant

February 22, 2022 at 1:31 am

Thanks Watchful but …

Do you think the NHS in UK would do them?
    If it’s private it would cost a fair bit I’d imagine.

• Watchful

February 22, 2022 at 1:29 am

You may be able to ask your doctor for allergy tests for the metals in stainless steel and for prolene.

• William Bryant

February 22, 2022 at 1:05 am

Watchful and Good Intentions ref steel and prolene …

What would you advise for me of the 2?

As I’ve said before I get red, itchy skin from some (not all) metal zips (on neck from jumpers and coats with high zip up), belt buckles, watch backs…

I think, although not scientific, thar it’s the cheaper ones. Tend to be more brass coloured.

Would I be able to risk steel or prolene better???

• William Bryant

February 22, 2022 at 1:01 am

Hello Monika,

The UK is also limited Monika, sadly,
    The 2 I’ve discovered are
    Simon Bailey – Shouldice, private.
    Duncan Light – Desarda, NHS.

It all comes down to lack of training I think. And that the mesh op is relatively easy to do.

I feel there is a good opportunity in the UK for tissue repair, just waiting to be tapped. Same for Australia I think.

There’s many posts from both countries asking the same. If I had the money I’d finance a tissue repair centre in UK. I really do think it would be very successful. And satisfying knowing youre helping many people.

• Good intentions

February 21, 2022 at 6:34 pm

I’ve seen the discussions about stainless steel and Prolene and, no offense intended, I don’t see much science behind the discussions. They are both inert materials in the body. Prolene is actually made of the same material that many of the synthetic meshes are made of – polypropylene. Made by the mother company of Ethicon, who manufactures Ultrapro and Prolene mesh.

I would look at the results. Has anyone seen any reports of SS sutures being the cause of problems?

https://www.jnjmedicaldevices.com/en-US/product/prolene-polypropylene-suture

https://www.ethicon.com/na/epc/search/platform/hernia%20mesh%20&%20fixation?lang=en-default

• Monika

February 21, 2022 at 5:36 pm

I didn’t consider Canada as it’s really hard to get in due to Covid and also I don’t want steel suture . I guess I am looking for modified Shouldice repair with prolene sutures . I was thinking about Munich but just noticed they don’t currently allow Australians in . Thought maybe someone knows good surgeon in Uk .

• Good intentions

February 21, 2022 at 4:23 pm

How about Canada? The Shouldice Hospital is a full service institution.

https://www.shouldice.com/

Yes, pinto apparently had a recurrence almost immediately after his surgery. Then had issuescommunicating his problem through the people at Gibbeum hospital. It’s not clear how his situation ended. Dr. Kang did reply on the forum though.

https://herniatalk.com/forums/topic/pinto-dr-kang/

Pinto / Dr Kang

• Monika

February 21, 2022 at 2:55 pm

William one mor thing . You mention you are based in the Uk . Do you know any excellent hernia Doctor in the Uk that is able to do tissue only repair like shouldice repair without taking any nerves out?

• Monika

February 21, 2022 at 2:46 pm

Thank you William,I just saw few negative post op experiences on hernia talk after Dr Kang operations I think it was pinto ?
    I would be willing to go to Munich to see dr Conze but because of Covid that seems to be impossible . Thank you for your help .

• William Bryant

February 21, 2022 at 1:28 pm

Got it Monika….

Someone called Garvey

https://www.9news.com.au/national/hernia-mesh-safety-australia-sydney-surgeon-calls-for-ban/05af1bcf-1209-4b74-8ad5-21e7d348254d

Hope still offering no mesh.

Ps I didn’t mean to imply I was in Australia, I’m in uk

• William Bryant

February 21, 2022 at 1:15 pm

Hello Monika, I haven’t had any surgery so no personal experience of Dr Kang but I did search on here and lindzee or linzee or lindsee had an op there and speaks highly.

I just thought it was near.

I think somewhere in my mind someone did find tissue repair in Australia, I’ll see if I can dig it out – or someone may cine to our aid.

What negative have you found about Dr Kang?

• Monika

February 21, 2022 at 12:51 pm

Sorry meant to say struggling.

• Monika

February 21, 2022 at 12:50 pm

Thanks William,I could possibly travel to South Korea however I am a bit worried about language barrier to be honest . Do you have any experience with dr Kang . I have read that some people had issues with him ? Again really appreciate your reply . I am really stretto find anyone in Australia .

• William Bryant

February 20, 2022 at 11:07 pm

There arent many in Australia sorry to say. Could you travel to Korea for example?

• Watchful

February 21, 2022 at 6:27 pm

Why not steel sutures?