News Feed Discussions Reoccuring hernia within 3 months

• Reoccuring hernia within 3 months

Posted by Baris on April 1, 2018 at 3:22 am

In august 2017 i had bilateral hernia surgery in germany. The method used was the shouldice method without cutting the cremester muscle and having absorbable sutures. Both my hernias were indirect and very small in size that it was not noticeable on the skin. I was told by the surgeon that they were easily repairable without the use of mesh.
    After two months i had complications and had realised that both sides had reoccured. So in december 2017 the surgeon decided to reoperate and stated to me he has put a mesh in on the right side and for the left just stitched the slight little hole. For the next few weeks i was very bad and constantly needed local anasthesia to help me continue my life. Few months on my left side has opened again and myright side is constantly burning and scratching me from inside causing me a huge amount of pain. Again my hernia is not visible and very small as i have to push for it to come through. However this is causing me a huge amount of pain. I believe i caused my firrst hernias by doing too much heavy work both in the gym and as an occupation whilst also playing football. Last month i decided to contact the shouldice clinic to ask for some advise and schedule emergency surgery. They were shocked to hear that absorbable sutures were used and told me that i had to wait at least a year to have successful surgery and they will not operate before that. Is this true? What can i do for the pain? And also would i be suitable with the very small hernias although they are reoccurring? ( i belive it reoccurred due to the absorbale sutures). And lastly would cutting the cremester muscle affect sexual function? I heard it was necessary for a successful surgery.
    Will greatly appreciate a reponse. Thanks

Baris replied 6 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Baris

April 3, 2018 at 2:51 am

Thank you for the links and other information. Like you said nothing feels normal about the two surgeries ive haf and therefore i would listen to the clinic in toronto and wait the full year before i decide for re surgery. Thinking about it all the top proffesional football players with inguinal hernia repair them through dr muschaweck… meaning she must be very good as these are players on millions a year. And if im right she uses the shouldice teachnique. Whilst reading through her history it states she learnt the technique by attending the clinic in canada. As i will defo opt for a no mesh surgery due to the amount of difficulties this mesh has caused me, wouldnt it be the most sensible thing if i just went to the shouldice clinic and had it done by the experts? Who have trained and experience years of this technique whilst also teaching other doctors?

• Good intentions

April 2, 2018 at 9:21 pm

It didn’t work. You’ll have to click through from here.

• Good intentions

April 2, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Here is a link to their English language sales literature.

• Good intentions

April 2, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Here is an excerpt from the DynaMesh literature.

“However, the thread first has to be warp-knitted into a textile structure. Not just anyhow but tailor-made for the relevant indication. The right stitch makes the difference. Only through the right stitch can we achieve the “inner values” required, such as stability, elasticity and porosity. So the end result is not a “one fits all” implant but a specifically created DynaMesh® high-tech product. A product which enables doctors to perform their duties as effectively as possible – and which gives patients many symptom-free and safe years.”

• Good intentions

April 2, 2018 at 9:18 pm

I recommend contacting Dr. Towfigh directly, either via message on this site, or through her practice web site. She has worked with many of the different types of membranes, meshes, and materials. You can find her presentations on the internet. Many surgeons really don’t know much about other materials, and they know little about the materials that they use for their hernia repairs. They trust that the medical device maker is supplying them with something that works. They trust the literature that is provided.

Your surgeon chose a somewhat new and unusual mesh, made from PVDF. The marketing literature is almost directly aimed at Bard and other competitive meshes. They even mention Bard’s standard sales line of “one size fits all”. But it is still a woven mesh, which Dr. Bendavid has proposed causes edema and inflammation, due to the small pores remaining, even though large pores are the goal of the weave design. It’s basically the same old mesh, just a different type of polymer and a different weave. The idea that large pores, or softer mesh, will be more comfortable is just a thought that softer and flexible has to be “more comfortable”. Like the mesh is an article of clothing. The meme is sued to make people comfortable with a new product. After the meshes are implanted, they all shrink and become boardy or leathery, nothing like when they were taken from the package.

Good luck. You have an unusual mesh, and your surgery seems unusual also, in that you had two nerves cut. You need to find somebody that is very knowledgeable, in more than just mesh implantation.

• Baris

April 2, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Thank you for the reply and list of doctors.
    I had a open surgery both times and the mesh inserted was a german pvdf dyno mesh. If i remember right the surgeon told me that it had larger pores and therefore would be comfortable. Also wanted to state that my genitofermoral nerve was removed both sides. I also have a lot of swelling on the pubic area and it still hasnt reduced on either side although its been 4 months. Can this be due to the reoccurence? Something that can settle if i had succesful surgery?

• Good intentions

April 2, 2018 at 6:49 pm
    quote Baris:

In august 2017 i had bilateral hernia surgery in germany. The method used was the shouldice method

I believe i caused my firrst hernias by doing too much heavy work both in the gym and as an occupation whilst also playing football.

Dr. Ulrike Muschawek is known for working on athletic people and will also remove mesh. Have you considered her? She is in Germany.

Dr. William Meyers works on athletes also, although, apparently, he will not remove mesh if it is attached to healthy tissue. I’m not sure what that means but that’s what I was told.

Dr. Peter Billing in Shoreline WA will remove mesh, and does hernia repair. He might have good advice and a solution.

Dr. William Brown also works on athletes. I’m not sure of his opinion on removing mesh.

Dr. Towfigh is also a known expert in both hernia repair and mesh removal.

I don’t think that you’ll get specific advice over the internet. My best results have come from collecting my medical records in paper form, or on CD, writing a clear and concise letter, then sending it all to the doctor themselves.

Your story has many questions unanswered. It looks like you went right back to full activity within weeks or months. It doesn’t sound like the first surgery was “Shouldice approved”. You don’t say whether the mesh implantation was done via open or laparoscopic surgery. What type of mesh was used? Your medical records and a letter should explain all of that.