News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Tips and tricks to avoid pain before or after hernia surgery

• Tips and tricks to avoid pain before or after hernia surgery

Posted by Good intentions on December 5, 2023 at 5:11 pm

I discovered a simple way to avoid some discomfort from my pants rubbing on the site of my original direct hernia, so thought it might be worth sharing. Maybe others have ideas to share also.

Even though most of the mesh has been removed over the site of my right side direct hernia there is still a small lump there and after going for long walks wearing a pair of Levi’s the site still gets sore. When I wear a pair of hiking pants it does not. It seems that the waist line of the Levi’s rides directly on that bump and causes some sort of internal irritation as it pulls it back and forth as I walk.

Anyway, I bought an athletic supporter, aka jock-strap, with a wide band and tried wearing it while walking. It seemed to help but I didn’t need anything except the wide elastic waist band and the extra material was irritating. Not really made for walking. So I cut it off and wore just the wide elastic band. It sits right over the direct hernia bump and seems to help protect it from outside forces and allow clothing to slide over it instead of pulling on the skin.

It is basically like a truss but without all of the stuff below the waist band. Kind of odd to wear but it really works, for me. If I was starting my whole adventure over again I’d probably wear it after hernia repair, just to spread the load on the new sutures.

There are many brands out there. I bought a McDavid. The band is about 2 1/2 inches (~60 mm) wide.

https://www.mcdavidusa.com/products/athletic-supporter-2-pack

Good intentions replied 4 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Oceanic

December 6, 2023 at 9:35 am

Thanks for sharing GI

• Good intentions

December 7, 2023 at 3:41 pm

Here is another that I just remembered. Many of us have probably worn our pants and belts the exact same way for years and have tried to go back the old ways after surgery. But even successful surgery is directly under the typical pants waistline or belt placement. I experimented with the placement of my belt buckle and end up sliding it over one loop. I also got one of those flat cam lock military type belt buckles that is infinitely adjustable. Unlike the typical belt with holes in it. The buckle is on the side, and I can adjust it on the fly in public without looking like I’m about to drop my pants.

It’s kind of goofy to think about doing these things to try to be comfortable but it has been worth it for me.

• Good intentions

December 11, 2023 at 6:22 pm

Another thought, that I will be trying soon. Suspenders.

I am still “stretching the envelope” physically after the mesh removal. The site of the original hernia still gets sore after vigorous physical activity. Ideally, I think, if I can avoid all irritation of the area it will heal fully. Or, I’ll just have a set of tools to use in certain situations. Like wearing gloves when doing hard manual work.

• Good intentions

December 14, 2023 at 8:24 pm

I’ve been wearing the supporter band I described in the first post and it really does help. It protects the whole area across the lower abdomen, right across the areas of the direct hernias. The inguinal canal location. It spreads the load and minmizes external irritation.

It’s really just a modifed truss as far as I can tell. But the ones I bought came two to a pack for just $15. A cheap test for anyone considering a truss.

• Good intentions

December 16, 2023 at 6:04 pm

I got a set of Dickies suspenders (link below) delivered yesterday morning and went for a couple of long walks with the suspenders and the band, then another walk in the evening with just the suspenders. Spent today using just the suspenders.

They really make a difference. The infinitely adjustable flat fabric belt with the buckle set to the side worked well. But having no belt at all is much better. I also found that with no belt the pants I’ve been wearing don’t press on my lower abdomen at the waist line. So the reason for the band is gone.

I’ve been wearing them under my shirt as a test to see if I could wear them discreetly. It works. It’s a little bit awkward using the toilet in sit-down mode since you have to remove your shirt, but it’s worth the extra effort.

So, all three of these concepts work to a degree. Still hoping that a good long run of no irritation will allow the inflammation around the remaining piece of mesh to settle down so that it can shrink and get fully encapsulated.

Overall though, I am way better than I was even just last year. So, if you’re struggling, just keep trying new things. Good luck.

I’ve been using them on Levi 550’s.

https://www.dickies.com/belts-suspenders/work-suspenders/DI5100BK+AL.html

• Good intentions

December 21, 2023 at 6:11 pm

The suspenders work so well that I have been wearing them every day when I go out. I also ordered a second set.

I had another thought – compression shorts or bike shorts.

It’s surprising how pants have developed and become such an important part of our lives. Now whenever I see someone in public in yoga pants or sweats I wonder if they have or have had a hernia. The waist band of today’s typical pants cuts right across the inguinal canal.

• Good intentions

December 25, 2023 at 2:56 pm

Just another followup. These new things I ‘ve been trying have made me realize that I have been trying to get my body to adapt to the still painful lump of mesh/cord/veins/nerves in my inguinal canal, to get back to my previously normal life. But daily life is better now, taking the odd steps of suspenders and belts and bands to reduce the soreness than in trying to suffer the constant mild irritation of tight pants and belts and normal clothes. I’ve been stuck at 90-95% for years but haven’t been able to work through it. It’s like I’ve been wearing shoes that were two sizes too small for years, hoping that my feet will shrink. It’s not going to happen.