News Feed Discussions Why feeling of inguinal pressure post mesh removal?

• Why feeling of inguinal pressure post mesh removal?

Posted by sensei_305 on June 13, 2023 at 7:07 pm

Would love to understand why when I sit down I feel like if a balloon wanted to pop in my site where mesh was. It’s my understanding that pressure sensation is a sign of a hernia. Yet CT scan comes back saying “All clear”. I have my doubts on how accurate the CT scan actually is. If lets say we had nerve damage,I assume the pain from nerve is different than feeling a sensation of pressure/fullness in the inguinal zone. Anyone has experienced same sensation? Perhaps more discomfort in the morning also when waking up.

sensei_305 replied 10 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • sensei_305

June 14, 2023 at 4:56 pm

Thanks guys for your input, I am just saying the sensation of pressure when we sit down does not feel normal to me. Specially when is not a pinching feeling or anything like that. I am guessing an ultrasound would be good because they make you push as they perform it.

• Herniated

June 14, 2023 at 12:06 pm
  • Watchful

June 14, 2023 at 8:53 am

I wonder if anyone does a dynamic ultrasound for hernia in the US. There are a few who do it in Germany, and I think Dr. Kang does it in Korea, but I never heard of anyone doing it in the US. According to Dr. Conze, it requires specific training and skills, which are not found in the US. Dr. Lorenz mentioned that if you know the groin anatomy very well, you can be good at this ultrasound. That knowledge seems rare…

• ajm222

June 14, 2023 at 7:45 am

Dr. Belyansky has a reputation for being able to see things on CT that others can’t. He read mine and didn’t see the hernia. And of course all the other imaging I’d had in the past when I was having issues with the mesh repair showed nothing at all. I just think the imaging is very limited, particularly if it’s not dynamic. And it’s expensive, and somewhat dangerous in the case of CT. So it doesn’t seem worth it to me most of the time. Dynamic ultrasound seems like the best option, but very few seem to bother using that method.

• pinto

June 14, 2023 at 6:20 am

ajm222, you’re knowledgable, I know, someone we all appreciate, but it seems to me imaging operators differ in ability, some better than others, which can make a big difference. I wonder if it applies to the imaging you received.

• ajm222

June 14, 2023 at 5:52 am

I don’t think CT (or any imaging) is great for detecting hernias. I had removal and then started having another decent sized lump in my groin that was obviously a recurrence. Got a CT scan that said everything looked awesome. Had a tissue repair anyway and I definitely ended up having a hernia when the surgeon went in. It was obvious. That’s not to say you have a recurrence, but you might. After mesh problems plus removal, you may have all kinds of strange sensations. Look for any bump/lump. Eventually, if it is a recurrence, it should be obvious.

• Watchful

June 13, 2023 at 7:30 pm

I have the same exact sensation that you describe while sitting. My surgery was a Shouldice repair, not mesh removal.

When I mentioned it to my surgeon, his theory was that scar tissue is causing this. I haven’t done any imaging, and I guess it is possible that it’s a recurrence. I have no idea what the best imaging is for this, or who can best diagnose it. Also, I don’t know if this could potentially be caused by nerve damage. I do have such damage, but I’ve never seen this particular symptom mentioned in that context.