News Feed Discussions ?YEARS of HT POSTS DOWN THE DRAIN

• ?YEARS of HT POSTS DOWN THE DRAIN

Posted by pinto on July 18, 2023 at 11:02 pm

Very disappointingly I have found many of my postings here at HT are unretrievable. Many Members have contributed in making in my opinion thoughtful and high-quality discussions. Being able to retrieve past posts not only further discussions but also provide vital referral information. Without this collective effort HERNIA•TALK would be a wasteland, zilch, an empty space holder. I don’t think it is too much to expect that HT would archive postings. If not, then why bother even posting here?

drtowfigh replied 9 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • drtowfigh

July 22, 2023 at 9:18 pm

Fortunately we will be upgrading the Forum to a more modern format soon. Hopefully the next gen will be easier to navigate. It will be more like a Facebook forum.

• Good intentions

July 22, 2023 at 12:46 pm

Doesn’t work. The Forum web site is starting to have major problems. We can’t paste old links in to a post. Pasting as “plain text” still pastes an embedded link.

These words might work – herniatalk.com/forums/topic/pintos-hernia-repairs-by-dr-kang/

It works. Highlight those words then, right click, choose “Go to …” and it will take you there.

• Good intentions

July 22, 2023 at 12:43 pm

Let me try a different paste method. A person should be able to put this test in the address window of their browser to get to the page.

https://herniatalk.com/forums/topic/pintos-hernia-repairs-by-dr-kang/

Here is is in embedded link form –

Pinto’s hernia repairs by Dr. Kang

• Good intentions

July 22, 2023 at 12:39 pm

There does seem to be something wrong with the site now. I pasted a link in the post above to a Topic with the title “Pinto’s hernia repairs by Dr. Kang” and it opens a completely different link. I also put the title in the site’s search box and it came up as –

“Search Results for ‘Pinto’s hernia repairs by Dr. Kang’
    Hernia Discussion › Forums › Search › Search Results for ‘Pinto’s hernia repairs by Dr. Kang’

Oh, bother! No search results were found here.

• Good intentions

July 22, 2023 at 12:32 pm

I’m not 100% sure, maybe sensei_305 or someone else knows, but I think that the owner of the web site has to jump through a few hoops to make their site’s content searchable on Google. Google is a profit-generating business. Nothing is free.

Dr. Towfigh is right that the posts are there, they just don’t get found by Google Search. If you type “site:herniatalk.com pinto” in to the search box you’ll see everything that Google finds on the site that has “pinto” in it. If you click the “Tool” word in the upper right of that results screen, you can set a date range to narrow things down. I did that and did not find the posts that I had found earlier, linked below, from 2021. Google doesn’t see them. But they are there.

I also see that some early posts were from Pinto2.

Edit – I clicked on the link below and something else came up. Not sure why. So it might not work, but it’s only a couple of weeks old, if you scroll back on the main list of posts.

Pinto’s hernia repairs by Dr. Kang

• drtowfigh

July 22, 2023 at 11:24 am

These misleading and reactive titles are not helpful.

Searching via Google will not find every HerniaTalk post. can’t control what Google serves as results.

In the meantime, we are looking to make sure the Search function on this website is accurate

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  drtowfigh.
  • sensei_305

July 21, 2023 at 9:20 pm

A simple database resync on AWS would have carried over any backups post migration. I am a senior cloud engineer for the department of defense. If you need an Engineer doc @drtowfigh give me a shout👏🏻

• pinto

July 19, 2023 at 3:57 am

Dr. Towfigh, thank you for your gracious reply, being so timely. Generally using google I have not had satisfying searches of HT. For example, my thread on 09/19/2019 titled “My IH Repair by Dr. Kang” could not be found. (I did accidentally locate it and am glad it still is in HT.)

A few moments ago I searched using ‘?’ but google yielded just one of my threads so starred. By HT search, three came but not all of them.

Could it be that there is a technical mismatch between google and this website? Perhaps the revamping of HT did not erase all our posts but searching has been frustrating for me. I am sorry if my thread title is inaccurate, which I hope is the case. Again, thank you for your kind assistance.

• drtowfigh

July 19, 2023 at 2:17 am

Give me details please. Eg, what year. How is it unretrievable, etc. I can work with my team to troubleshoot that way.