News Feed Discussions Sock puppets

• Sock puppets

Posted by David M on June 16, 2023 at 8:59 am

Are we having visitations of sock puppets? No offense meant, really, to anyone who might be guilty of this. I kinda get why you might be doing it, and maybe I’m wrong, but I’ve noticed this multiple times recently. It seems fairly obvious, but, again, it could be my mistake. However, if it is somehow true, my opinion is that we probably need less drama, not more, to learn what we need to know.

William Bryant replied 11 months ago 7 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • William Bryant

June 17, 2023 at 11:39 pm

I think it is like to be off putting to potential new posters so we will be missing out on their views and experiences. Most people are here to help and to learn and exchange information. Hopefully we can get it back to that, if we all try to post in a reasonable and polite manner. Which most do.

A lot of us would be lost and floundering without this forum, it is, imo, a valuable and appreciated resource. Many thanks for setting it up and keeping it going Dr Towfigh.

Hopefully it continues.

• drtowfigh

June 17, 2023 at 7:02 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments and concerns. I agree that there is a growing sense of anxiety, and bombardment that is taking away from what has mostly been a respectful and productive conversation among peers.

I definitely don’t like the tone HerniaTalk is taking. It’s not why o started it.

Hang in there with me. Also, message me directly so that I can hear more of your thoughts.

• G

June 17, 2023 at 1:33 pm

Mark, I think you represent more people than you may be aware of. With an open forum you get all types of agendas and personality issues. David thanks for bringing up the sock puppet example. It helps to remind me how anyone can be anyone with the anonymity of the internet. A.I. ain’t got nothing on sock puppets. Take everything you read, see or hear on the internet with a “grain of salt”. Do your own due diligence, rely on your own discernment, and develop and refine your own personal bullsh*t detector. Given enough time everything works itself out. All the best to you all in your search for a cure.

• MarkT

June 17, 2023 at 12:53 pm

I think I’m ready for a break…just tired of the hysteria, hyperbole, disrespect, and irresponsible misrepresentation.

Whether it is a case of ‘sock puppets’ (entirely possible) or perhaps like-minded imports from an echo chamber somewhere (my other theory), it doesn’t really matter. I feel very badly for people who come here looking for good information and have to wade through endless muck.

I’m not sure what the solution is…perhaps some more active moderation.

• G

June 17, 2023 at 11:02 am

David, your observation may be correct. I remember when Good Intentions made the same observation a while ago he was vilified and told he was imagining things. That didn’t happen to you this time. Perhaps the drama in that aspect is diminishing. It is an improvement to have a forum that allows it’s members to express their opinions without fear of being verbally attacked. Positive evolution is a very good thing.

• Watchful

June 16, 2023 at 3:23 pm

It was like a somewhat censored rerun. Not quite as fun as the original episode!

• Good intentions

June 16, 2023 at 2:55 pm

I had also suggested that in the past. A brand new member sounded a lot like an older member, the same tone and the insinuations, but better grammar and spelling. I think that I might call them clones or doppelgangers.

What can you do? I stopped replying to both of them.

• Watchful

June 16, 2023 at 2:52 pm

We’re seeing it. Einstein said E=mc2, and HerniaTalk says J=C.

• David M

June 16, 2023 at 2:30 pm

If no one else is seeing this, then that ups the possibility that I was wrong. I don’t really have a huge beef with someone doing this, because I dont believe the intention, if true, was negative.

It’s just that too much of the same thing can be a distraction.

• Watchful

June 16, 2023 at 2:19 pm

I think what motivated the term is the belief that someone new here is actually someone else who has been with us for a while… Let’s leave it as an exercise to the reader.

• Good intentions

June 16, 2023 at 1:17 pm

I see. There was one of those new accounts with a new Topic on the forum for a short while this morning. Looks like it’s been removed. Obviously not related to the forum’s goals.

• Watchful

June 16, 2023 at 1:06 pm

You can find the definition on Wikipedia under “Sock puppet account”, although I’m not sure why this particular term was raised here.

• Good intentions

June 16, 2023 at 12:50 pm

What is a sock puppet? Is that an internet slang word? Haven’t seen it before.

I’ve found that it is pointless to try to correct people’s behavior on internet forums. I just stop reading posts from certain people.

• William Bryant

June 16, 2023 at 12:21 pm

I think I read Oceanic was going to take a break from the forum due to the “drama” – that will be a big loss as it’s quite rare to get a patient from one of the German surgeons posting. It’s been very useful to those considering Germany. Oceanic did say he would post updates, which I look forward to, each month.

I hope other posters and lurkers haven’t been similarly put off, we are all essentially here for similar reasons so no need for the spite I don’t think. What’s to be gained by it?