News Feed Discussions Hernia Discussion Views and comments about the new web site

• Views and comments about the new web site

Posted by Good intentions on November 18, 2023 at 6:03 pm

I would call this a new format but it’s like a completely new thing.

I had posted on News Feed with a similar question and I will paste the material here for continuity. I had forgotten that the Comment function times out so nobody can reply, unless, apparently, they type and post real fast.

Here is what I had started on the News Feed page.

Question for other HerniaTalk forum members.

I see by the Members list to the right, on the full-size computer page, that many of the regular commenters have been “Active” within the last 24 hours. But only roger555 has posted anything. Are people checking in to see what’s up, but not posting because of the problems? Or are things just slow…”

Here is Mark T.’s reply from my News Feed post. He figured out how to make Comment work. Write it out somewhere else, copy it, paste and post real fast seems to be the way.

I’ve just tried to post a response twice but halfway through typing it, the response box suddenly closed and I had to start over.

Booted out twice again…*sigh*. This is a mess, which is why I have just been checking in but not posting. Chuck et al. seem to be gone, but the drug ad spammers are back and polluting the feed. This doesn’t happen on other forums, not sure why this can’t be controlled or filtered out. Hopefully things improve…

Good intentions replied 5 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Good intentions

November 27, 2023 at 5:15 pm

A perspective about the new site – “Beverly Hills Hernia Center” is front and center on the main HerniaTalk page, it’s the very first item on the News Feed. When a new person finds the HerniaTalk web site and browses around they will get an impression of how the Center works. The quality of the web site reflects directly on the quality of the Center. In other words, if the site doesn’t work correctly, does the Center itself?

I hate to be constantly critical, but it is one of those realities of the internet. The new format is basically an advertisement for the Beverly Hills Hernia Center. Something to consider.

• Good intentions

November 26, 2023 at 12:08 pm

I just had a communication from dev that the way the site is working now is the way that Dr. Towfigh wants it. Just daily “News Feed” stuff. Apparently the thread type Discussion format is secondary. Which might explain why it still does not work correctly. It doesn’t matter. So, no more deep discussions about best methods or best surgeons. Just random postings on the News Feed.

Oh well. It was good while it lasted. But maybe the discussions just weren’t relaying the desired message.

I got in to the scene with my hernia repair just as the mesh problem wave started to crest. I saw all of the problems develop, and the lawsuits grow, and the various individuals like Dr. Heniford, who saw the problems and tried to develop tools to help solve them, like registries to identify bad products, and also saw the other powerful individuals like Dr. Voeller, who said the problems were too well-established and there was no way to go back. Mesh, with its problems, is here to stay, from the surgeon who got a Shouldice non-mesh repair.

Now things have settled down to a new normal where the individual patient is aware that they should be afraid if they need a hernia repair, but told that they’ll have to make their own decision on how to avoid the numerous pitfalls as they try to get healed.

Interesting times to be a patient who needs surgery. Who can you trust?

• Good intentions

November 21, 2023 at 2:17 pm

I just tried to refer somebody to my Timeline page so that they could look up some of my old posts. But I forgot that the Timeline page shows posts that have nothing at all to do with the Timeline of the person.

The best way to find old posts from certain people is to use Google. Type in “site:herniatalk.com” and the search terms and Google will find them. Good luck people.

• David M

November 21, 2023 at 12:15 pm

I wish that the discussion threads were in a sensible chronological order with quoted posts embedded in responses. Otherwise it’s hard to follow the train of conversation.

(Chronological makes better it so something don’t I have to read Thanks! this like.)

• David M

November 21, 2023 at 12:41 pm

Just to be clear, it’s great that the thread for a particular discussion gets bumped to the top of the discussion page. This lets the reader know that there are new posts in that thread. However, it’s frustrating going through a thread trying to find those posts when they are scattered randomly throughout the thread. New posts within in a thread make much more sense when ordered chronologically while quoting the post they are referring to.

• Max L

November 18, 2023 at 10:18 pm

I may be incorrect, but it seems the spammer ads are worse and bigger. I just don’t find this new format user friendly for posting or finding past threads. By the way @Mark H hope your recovery is going well post Dr. Kang’s surgery in October. I am also planning to travel to Korea in April for hernia repair by Dr. Kang. Reading your past threads has greatly reduced my anxiety….THANKS!

• Mark H

November 21, 2023 at 2:27 pm

Max, I think you’re making an excellent choice going in April when the weather is a bit warmer! I consider myself fully recovered, with my biggest task actually being trying to convince the wife. She still believes that things should take longer than they have and I’m just putting on a brave face.

I trust you’ll have a successful trip and be back to normal before you know it.

Mark H.